The Dewey Stuit Fund for Undergraduate Research
The Dewey Stuit Fund in Liberal Arts and Sciences is an endowed fund created by friends and former colleagues of the College's long-term former Dean, Professor Dewey Stuit (1948-1977). The purpose of the fund is to promote the development of mentor-protégé relationships between CLAS undergraduate students and CLAS faculty.
Students, faculty members, and academic units may request funding for projects that will advance the extracurricular research, scholarship, and creative work of undergraduate students. Departments also are expected to contribute funds to support the student’s or students’ research or creative work.
Grants from the Dewey Stuit Fund may support:
- undergraduate student travel to disciplinary conferences, workshops, archives, or other sites, either to present their work or to advance their research or creative projects
- undergraduate research with a faculty mentor (e.g., software, equipment, participant fees, etc.)
Proposals must be made in advance of the need. The College will support up to six grants per academic year. Grants to students average $400. Proposals are considered in two cycles: those submitted by October 1 and those submitted by February 1 of each academic year.
Applying for funding
Students should complete the new application located through the Iowa Scholarship Portal (https://uiowa.academicworks.com/opportunities/1658 ). Proposals should include:
- A one-page description of the project including how the requested funds will advance the student's research or creative goals
- An itemized budget for the project. This should be a budget for the entire project, indicating how the Dewey funds will be used and what other funds will be used.
- A letter of support from a faculty mentor. Only projects that will involve a faculty member (as mentor, advisor, or in another capacity) will be approved.
For proposals involving groups of students, please contact the Associate Dean for Undergraduate Programs and Curriculum for guidance on submission of proposals.
Proposals should be submitted electronically, questions can be sent to email@example.com.