The rules and policies discussed here apply to undergraduate students enrolled in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences. Other colleges may have different policies. If you are a student in another college, be sure to check on your college's policy with your college's undergraduate programs office.

If you have questions about your particular situation, please call CLAS Undergraduate Programs, 319-335-2633, or make an appointment in MyUI (choose "College Office" then "College of Liberal Arts and Sciences).

Changes of Registration

The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences enforces the change of registration deadlines strictly. We do this in the interests of orderly registration, equity through the student community, and accuracy of students' academic records.

Q: Am I allowed to register for more than the maximum number of semester hours?

A: If you are in good academic standing, you may request permission to register for more hours than the maximum allowed from CLAS Undergraduate Programs, by emailing your request to clas-undergrad@uiowa.edu from your UI email account. Students who will be able to graduate in the next session may request excess hours during early registration in the spring or fall semester. All other students must wait until grades post for the current semester to request excess hours.

Professional staff approve excess semester hours based on the following UI and total cumulative grade point average guidelines:

Permission for 19 hours (Fall or Spring) requires:

  • 2.0 minimum GPA (academic good standing)
  • evidence of previous substantial (15+ graded hours) and successful semesters

Permission for 20 hours (Fall or Spring) requires:

  • 2.5 minimum GPA
  • evidence of previous substantial (15+ graded hours) and successful semesters

Permission for 21 hours (Fall or Spring) requires:

  • 3.0 minimum GPA
  • evidence of previous substantial (15+ graded hours) and successful semesters

Students may petition for permission to take 22 semester hours or more, but permission for such a heavy load is rarely granted.

Permission for excess hours is a privilege. If you perform poorly with an overloaded schedule or withdraw from any of the overload courses, then permission for excess hours will not be granted in a future semester.

Q: Can I add courses after the published deadline?

A: If you miss the add deadline you may be granted permission to add a course after the deadline. If you want to add a course offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (identified by Admin: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in the MyUI course description) after the 10th day of the semester, or to add on or after the start date for an off-cycle, summer, or winter session course, you must initiate the add request in MyUI, then contact both your academic advisor and the course instructor to obtain permission to add the course in MyUI. Student-athletes also must obtain permission from Student-Athlete Academic Services. After you have obtained those authorizations, contact CLAS Undergraduate Programs, 120 Schaeffer Hall, 319-335-2633, clas-undergrad@uiowa.edu, for CLAS Dean's permission to add after the deadline. After all required authorizations are received, you will have 24 hours to finalize the add in MyUI, see https://registrar.uiowa.edu/myui-course-add-tutorial.

Q: Can I drop courses after the deadline?

A: Undergraduates seeking to drop a College of Liberal Art and Sciences course must petition the College to seek permission to drop individual courses after the published deadline. Your petition is more likely to be successful if it is supported by documentation of extenuating circumstances that either prevented you from dropping a course before the deadline, or prevent you from completing a course or courses successfully. You must have advisor authorization in MyUI, then contact CLAS Undergraduate Programs, 319-335-2633 or clas-undergrad@uiowa.edu.

Q: Why can't I change a course to P/N grading after the second week of the semester?

A: The faculty of the College wants students to decide at the beginning of the semester whether to use the Pass/Nonpass grading option for a course. Choosing to take a course for P/N credit should not be a reaction to receiving a lower than desired grade when a substantial portion of the course has already been completed. Remember, General Education Program classes and courses for your major, minor, or certificate may not be taken for P/N credit. See also: Pass/Non-pass (P/N) in the Academic Policies Handbook.

Second-Grade-Only Option (SGO)

Q: I took a course twice, but both grades are included in my grade point average. Why?

A: The second-grade-only option (SGO) is not placed on the student record automatically. You must request the SGO online at https://workflow.uiowa.edu/entry/new/662 by logging in with your HawkID and password. Students may have up to three SGOs for their entire University of Iowa undergraduate record. See also: Second-grade-only option (#) in the Academic Policies Handbook

Q: I forgot to file a second-grade-only option (SGO) for a course I took the second time last semester. Can I still file it?

A: Yes. The College of Liberal Arts and Sciences permits students to file second-grade-only options any time prior to graduation. You may request the SGO online at https://workflow.uiowa.edu/entry/new/662 by logging in with your HawkID and password.

Q: I want to second-grade-only option (SGO) a course I took a long time ago, but it's no longer offered. How can I do this?

A: Go to the department that offered the first course you took and ask if there is another course you can use as a substitute. Upon written recommendation from the department, CLAS Undergraduate Programs will file a second-grade-only option using a different course from the one the student took the first time. Warning: It may not be possible to second-grade-only option a course if that course or a comparable course is no longer taught by the department.

Declaring Majors

Q: I'm an open major right now. Is there a deadline for when I have to declare a major?

A: You must declare a major or be admitted to a selective or limited access program by the time you reach 60 semester hours, or you will not be permitted to register for courses until you have a major. See also: Declaring or changing a major in the Academic Policies Handbook

Q: How do I change my major?

A: All undergraduate students in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences can declare or change majors by sending an email from their UI email account (only) to clas-undergrad@uiowa.edu. College of Liberal Arts and Sciences students who are advised at the Academic Advising Center may declare or change majors there. Note: Admission to some majors is based on audition, grades in specified prerequisite courses, cumulative GPA, preparation of a plan of study, or other criteria. Students should check with their academic advisor, or consult with the department or program in question for admission information. See also: Declaring or changing a major in the Academic Policies Handbook

Q: Can I change my academic advisor?

A: For most programs it is easy to change your academic advisor. If you are advised at the Academic Advising Center, the staff there will assign you a new advisor. If you have a departmental advisor, please contact CLAS Undergraduate Programs, clas-undergrad@uiowa.edu, for assistance.

Q: How do I declare a minor?

A: Minors may be declared through the drop-down menu on your MyUI profile under Student Records. You may then request a degree audit for the minor. You also indicate your desire to have a minor listed on your record when you file your application for a degree. If you have met the requirements for the minor, this will be noted on your final transcript.

Q: Can I earn two different degrees, such as a BA and a BS? Can I earn two majors, one in Liberal Arts and Sciences, and one in another college?

A: Yes to both questions. Please refer to Earning two or more majors in the Academic Policies Handbook.

Q: How many majors can I declare?

A: Students may declare up to three majors at at time, in addition to declared minors and certificates. You may, however, complete as many majors, minors, and certificates as you like. If you would like to declare more than three majors, please contact professional staff in CLAS Undergraduate Programs to discuss your situation.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

Q: I'm on academic probation. What does this mean? What should I do about it?

A: Academic probation means that you are not earning grades that demonstrate progress toward a bachelor's degree. If you don't improve your academic performance, you may be dismissed from the College. To graduate from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, you must meet the minimum of 2.00 for your UI cumulative GPA, your overall cumulative GPA, your major GPA, and your UI major GPA.

If you are on academic probation, you should contact CLAS Undergraduate Programs, and make an appointment online or by calling 319-335-2633, to schedule an academic probation meeting with one of our academic staff members. Among the things we will do at this meeting are to determine what grade point average you need to earn with your current enrollment to be restored to academic good standing, and make referrals to other sources of assistance.

Q: Why am I on academic probation when my overall cumulative GPA is higher than 2.00?

A: Academic probation and good standing are determined on the basis of your University of Iowa cumulative GPA, overall cumulative GPA, and UI term GPA. You are on academic probation if either your UI cumulative GPA or your total cumulative GPA is below the standard listed below, or if your UI term GPA is below a 1.50 for any spring, summer or fall enrollment.

The current minimum UI and overall cumulative grade point averages for good standing are:

  • 0-29 semester hours earned—1.85
  • 30 semester hours or more earned—2.00
  • non-degree status (regardless of how many hours earned)—2.00

Q: If I get dismissed from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, how soon can I return?

A: If you've been dismissed from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences for the first time, you're eligible to return after one year. For example, a student dismissed at the close of the fall 2023 semester may be reinstated for the spring 2025 semester. No reinstatements are considered for summer or winter sessions.

Students dismissed for a second time from the College may or may not be eligible for a second reinstatement at some future time. Students wishing to discuss the possibility of a second reinstatement must schedule an appointment with CLAS Undergraduate Programs.

Q: Can I enroll in a different UI college after dismissal from the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences?

A: You'd have to discuss this possibility with staff of the college to which you seek admission. Generally, though, academic dismissal from one college in the University makes you ineligible to enroll in another college for at least one year.

Q: Can I have really bad grades removed from my record?

A: Maybe. The Student Academic Standards Committee has authorized the academic reviewers in CLAS Undergraduate Programs to consider record adjustments. Schedule an appointment (choose "College Office" then "College of Liberal Arts and Sciences") to discuss your situation with an academic staff member in our office.

Degree Audit and Graduation Requirements

Q: What do I need to do to be sure I graduate in four years?

A: We recommend that you read the Four Year Graduation Plan Agreement carefully and familiarize yourself with its provisions. A graduation plan provides an important framework for your education, and you'll want to review it with your academic advisor each year. You should work with your major department and advisor to be sure you are in compliance with the "checkpoints" for your major. See also: Four-year graduation plan.

Q: Where should I go if I have questions about my degree audit?

A: That depends. If your questions are about major requirements, you should consult with your academic advisor. If you have questions about CLAS Core General Education Program requirements, residence, and other College of Liberal Arts and Sciences policies, you may discuss these with your academic advisor or contact CLAS Undergraduate Programs if you need further assistance.

Q: I've completed 120 semester hours, but my degree audit says I need more hours to graduate. Why?

A: There are several possible reasons:

  • You may not have fulfilled all degree requirements. Check your degree audit carefully to make sure you have taken all of your CLAS Core General Education coursework and the required courses for your major.
  • You may have taken courses, either at Iowa or at another school, that do not count as credit toward the hours required for the degree. Such courses include basic algebra and geometry courses, or college preparatory writing classes.
  • You may have earned excess credit from a two-year college. Students are permitted to count no more than 60 semester hours earned at two-year colleges toward the 120 hours required for a bachelor's degree. Additional hours are used in computing grade point averages, but do not count as credit earned toward graduation. Coursework beyond 60 semester hours may be used to satisfy General Education Program requirements, even though it does not earn credit toward graduation.
  • You may have been charged with duplication, which means that you have taken a course more than once, or regression.
  • You may have exceeded 56 semester hours of credit in one department (BA and BS degree candidates) or more than 62 hours of credit in one department (BFA and BM degree candidates). Hours earned in excess of these maximums do not count as credit earned toward graduation.

If you have questions about these rules, please contact CLAS Undergraduate Programs.

Credit From Other Schools

Q: Why doesn't my degree audit show the transfer work that counts toward my major?

A: Admissions does not apply transfer credit to major requirements. Your major department has to approve transfer courses for completion of major requirements and notify Degree Services so that the courses can be noted on your degree audit.

Q: How can I be sure that a course I take at another college will transfer back to Iowa?

A: Prior to taking the course, check with Admissions, 108 Calvin Hall, for approval of transfer courses. You must provide Admissions with the name of the school you plan to attend, and the name and course number of the course you intend to take. CLAS Core General Education courses or electives can be approved by Admissions. Your major advisor must approve transfer courses if you wish them to count toward major requirements.

Q: I transferred to Iowa with an AA degree, but I want to go back to the community college to complete the World Languages requirement. Can I do this?

A: Yes, but the credit earned from the world language courses will not count as credit earned toward graduation if you already have earned 60 semester hours from a two-year college.

Q: I'm thinking of studying abroad for a year or a semester. How will this affect my four-year graduation plan?

A: The university does not guarantee that students who study abroad will be able to graduate under the terms of the Four-year Graduation Plan. You may find that you can arrange your curriculum so that a study abroad experience does not interfere with your four-year graduation plan. On the other hand, you may find that the educational, experiential, and cultural benefits of studying abroad make the extra time needed to graduate worthwhile.

Study Skills Assistance

Q: I realize now that I waste a lot of time and don't have good study habits. Is there some place I can go to learn better study habits?

A: Academic Support and Retention oversees programs including Academic Resource Center (ARC) and Tutor Iowa. The Academic Advising Center has a great website with connections to many sources of academic support.

Learning Disabilities

Q: What do I do if I have, or I think I have a learning disability?

A: If you have a history of diagnosed learning disabilities and are not receiving assistance, you should contact Student Disability Services as soon as possible to initiate the process of registering and becoming eligible for services. If you have not been diagnosed with a learning disability, visit the Student Disability Services website for information on the documentation required to become eligible for SDS services.

Emergencies/Scheduling Conflicts

Q: What do I do if I have a conflict between a scheduled class and a test in another class scheduled outside of class time?

A: First, you should always check meeting times and read course descriptions for courses you intend to register for, and do your best to avoid conflicts between any class activities. But sometimes it is not possible to schedule around all conflicts. The University has a policy on conflicts between course activities and examinations that covers courses offered by all the undergraduate colleges. Read about Exam Information on the Registrar's website. Note: CLAS policy is that any exam given at a time other than the course's regular lecture or discussion meeting time, even when the exam time is listed on MyUI, is considered to be outside of class time.

Q: What should I do if I need to be absent from classes?

A: The first thing to do is to notify your instructors of your impending absence, find out what material you will be missing, and if it is possible for you to hand in assignments late or make up missed quizzes and examinations. Certain types of absences are excusable, such as for illness or personal or family emergencies, but you may later be required, by instructors or by the College, to provide additional documentation to validate your absence, and you may still be responsible for making up missed work, at the discretion of each individual instructor.

Q: My family has a vacation planned that requires me to leave while classes are still in session. How can I arrange to make up any work I miss?

A: The CLAS Academic Policies Handbook states that, "An unavoidable circumstances is defined as an event beyond the student's control and often involve a serious and unexpected hospitalization, a family tragedy, or a related incident. Such circumstances do not include attendance at a wedding, a family vacation, obligations related to work, or other such matters." Students and their families should carefully check the University calendar before making any vacation plans. Students who choose to leave campus for vacations or other non-emergency reasons will have to accept any adverse consequences that result.

Q: What if I need to drop a class or withdraw my registration at the end of the semester because of an emergency?

A: If possible, schedule an appointment with CLAS Undergraduate Programs as soon as possible. You will be asked to write a petition for permission to drop classes or withdraw your registration after the published deadline, and to provide documentation of the situation that prevents you from completing your coursework. Changes of registration made at the end of the semester take time to appear on the record and may not be reflected in the very next grade report issued by the Registrar's office.

Academic Dishonesty

Q: Where can I find information on academic dishonesty (plagiarism and cheating)?

You can find information on what kinds of activities may be identified as academic dishonesty and also how the College responds to academic dishonesty in the Code of Academic Honesty and in the Student Bill of Rights.