As a student at the University of Iowa and in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences, it is important that you make sure you are staying on top of important dates and deadlines. More details can be found on the Office of the Registrar calendar.
Here are a few tips for staying ahead of important dates during the fall semester:
- Create a calendar or planner and mark down all of the important dates and deadlines for your semester.
- Set reminders for yourself on your phone or computer marking upcoming deadlines.
- Be organized and stay on top of your schoolwork to avoid the stress of missing a deadline.
- Talk to your academic advisor if you have any questions about important dates and deadlines.
Important dates and deadlines to keep in mind:
The census date is the deadline by which you must be enrolled in a certain number of credits in order to be considered a full-time student for certain scholarships. If you do not meet the census requirement, you may have to pay more tuition or lose financial aid. Be sure to check with student financial aid for specific deadlines.
Tip: Keep track of your credit hours throughout the semester so that you do not accidentally fall below the requirement.
Add or drop deadlines
Add/drop deadlines allow you to add or drop classes without penalty. After the add/drop deadline, you will only be able to drop classes with a W grade, which will not affect your GPA. Be sure to check the registrar's calendar for the specific add/drop deadlines.
Tip: Registration deadlines vary by course, be sure to check for the specific deadline.
- Last day to drop without a W (full semester length courses only); Friday, Sept. 1, 2023
- Last day to add without collegiate approval; Friday, Sept. 1, 2023
- Last day to drop (full semester length courses only); Monday, Nov. 13, 2023
- Last day to withdraw from the entire fall 2023 semester; Monday, Nov. 13, 2023
Registration deadlines also vary by course, be sure to check for the specific deadline.
Tip: Create a spreadsheet or calendar to track your registration deadlines for all of your classes. This will help you to stay organized and to avoid missing any important deadlines.
- Meet with your academic advisor to be cleared for registration, if necessary
- Spring 2023 schedule builder open; Monday, Oct. 2, 2023
- Early registration for winter/spring begins; Monday, Nov. 6-Friday, Dec. 1, 2023
Final exams are typically held at the end of each semester. The specific dates for final exams will vary by course, so be sure to check your syllabus.
Tip: Start studying for your final exams early! This will help you to avoid feeling overwhelmed and stressed during finals week.
- Last day of class before final exams; Friday, Dec. 8, 2023
- Final Exam Week; Dec 11-15, 2023
Other important deadlines
Tip: Start working on your scholarship and graduate school applications early. This will give you plenty of time to gather all of the required materials and to proofread your essays.
- Deadline to apply for fall 2023 graduation, Friday, Sept. 29, 2023
- Midterm reports/class lists; Friday, Oct. 20, 2023
- Fall break; Nov. 20-24, 2023
- Commencement; Saturday, Dec. 16, 2023
- Fall grades posted; by Friday, Dec. 22, 2023
In addition to these general university and college deadlines, there are other important dates and deadlines specific to your classes or program of study. Be sure to check your syllabus and communicate with your instructor.