Being a CLAS Student Ambassador is an exciting volunteer opportunity for Iowa undergraduates. Students in this position will share their experiences in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and showcase their passion for the University of Iowa while enhancing their leadership skills.
If you are a student in the Biology Department, please click here for a separate application.
In this role, students will assist with recruitment activities by sharing personal experiences on student panels, assisting with Exploring Majors Fairs and supporting social media engagement to connect with prospective students and their families. The position will have a participation requirement of eight activities per semester. There will be a mandatory monthly team meeting during the school year.
We will be offering professional development sessions for our student ambassadors at monthly meetings. This will include resume building, DEI training, public speaking, and more! Our monthly meetings will also help our Student Ambassadors make connections with people across departments and build a great team environment. There will also be potential opportunities to grow into a leadership role for the program in subsequent semesters. Students who go above and beyond the eight-activity requirement may have the opportunity to receive a Student Service Award signed by CLAS Associate Dean for Undergraduate Education Cornelia Lang to recognize their accomplishments as a student ambassador.
While the ambassador program is a volunteer opportunity, there are guidelines for
participation. A successful candidate must:
- Be a declared major in the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Participate in a minimum of eight hours of recruitment events each semester
- Exhibit excellent customer service skills and interact professionally with prospective students and their guests
- Be comfortable speaking in front of large groups (50-75) of prospective students and their families for student panels
- Share experiences in a positive, yet realistic view with prospective students and guests
- Complete mandatory university ambassador training through the Admissions office
- Attend a mandatory team meeting for CLAS specific training (end of the fall semester)
- Provide semester-long commitment (opportunity to continue as an ambassador in subsequent semesters following informal performance review process with Kaitlin and Connor)
- Attend monthly ambassador meetings that will include professional development and team-building activities
- Be in good conduct standing with the University
- Be a current, full-time University of Iowa student (12 s.h. or more), enrolled in Fall 2022 and Spring 2023
- Maintain a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 while holding the position