Information for Advisors
Starting with Fall 2018, procedures for notifying the Registrar of students who have earned Honors in the Major are changing. Each CLAS department or program will track a student's status in Honors in the Major using two MAUI tools and various reports, simplifying the Honors in the Major verification process. Professional advisors for the major and faculty Honors in the Major advisors will work closely together on this verification process.
Three MAUI reports are especially useful to keep faculty and professional advisors updated about students interested in or pursuing Honors in the Major.
One report allows faculty and professional advisors to view a list of students who are currently in the Honors in the Major pipeline. Students in this report have not yet applied for graduation but have shown a interest in Honors in the Major or are actively pursuing this achievement.
The report will allow faculty and professional advisors to communicate with this group of students more easily and to be aware of the number of students interested in and pursuing Honors in the Major. This information may also be helpful for event and course planning.
The other two reports in MAUI focus on students who have applied for graduation:
- Student--Degree Application by Advisor
- Degree Applications
These reports give valuable information about which students have applied for graduation and the status of that application.
There are two MAUI tools used to verify a student's progress through Honors in the Major.
- The first tool is located on the individual's student record page in MAUI and is used to note a student's interest in Honors in the Major or the student's active pursuit of Honors in the Major.
- The second tool can be found in MAUI under the Registrar's tab and is used to add Initial Approval and Final Approval to the student record after these have been verified.
Tracking Students through Honors in the Major: From Interest in the Major to Final Approval
Some students will be tracked through all four steps as listed below; at other times, tracking will begin at Step Two.
Step One: Add Interest Status
When meeting with a professional advisor or with the faculty Honors in the Major advisor, a student might express an interest in Honors in the Major.
- An Interest in Honors in the Major can be noted by the advisor in the student’s record page in MAUI by using the pull down menu in the upper-right hand corner of that record and by selecting Program of Study Honors in the Major.
- On the page that then appears, the appropriate major is chosen and the Interest designation for Honors in that major is added and saved.
This Interest flag will help track the student along the pathway for Honors in the Major and will remind advisors that the student is interested in Honors, helping to foster and to continue conversations on Honors in the Major. The Interest in Honors in the Major may be dropped at any time; additionally, if the student changes major, the Interest will automatically be removed.
The student does not need to meet Honors in the Major standards to have this interest noted in MAUI, and an Interest designation is not required to graduate with Honors in the Major. An Interest designation is simply a tool to help to create a better understanding of and interest in Honors in the Major.
Step Two: Add Pursuing Status
The Interest designation is changed to Pursuing once the student is actively pursuing Honors in the Major and meets the following benchmarks:
- The student is actively engaged in taking Honors in the Major courses or is working on or is completing other Honors in the Major requirements.
- The student appears to be on track to earn Honors in the Major.
The student may be in “Pursuing status” for a number of years, with the designation helping advisors to know who is actively involved with Honors in the Major. The “Pursuing status” can be removed by advisors as needed and is dropped automatically if the major is dropped.
Step Three: Double Check Pursuing Status
Before the student's final semester begins (the semester or session of graduation), a student must be in Pursuing status for Honors in the Major. This status is very important for the following reasons:
- When a student in pursuing status applies for graduation, the application will prompt the student to give more information about Honors in the Major plans, asking if the student is still earning Honors in the Major.
- The student will then verify on the application the specific major or majors involved, choosing from a pull down menu of the major or majors declared by the student.
- This means that a student must be in pursuing status before or by the time the application for the degree opens for the semester that the student intends to graduate.
The deadline for the application for the degree is the Friday of the sixth week of the semester, but students do apply after this date (and are charged a late fee). For more information on application for the degree and timelines, visit the Registrar's page.
Step Four: Verify Initial Approval
During the first two weeks of semester that the student will graduate, the student’s Honors in the Major status must be changed from its current Pursuing status to Initial Approval (if not already done).
This change may only be made once it has been verified by the faculty and professional advisor that the student will graduate with Honors in the Major during that semester.
Verification will be done by checking the student's GPAs, progress on requirements, and through conversations with related faculty and advisors. A Verification of Initial Approval form has been created and may be modified by each department to help with this process.
Moving the student’s designation to Initial Approval means the Honors in the Major notation will be included under the student’s name in the Commencement Program. Only make the change to Initial Approval if the student is on track to graduate with Honors in the Major.
This change in status is made using the Degree Application and Awards list tool, available through MAUI:
- Login to MAUI and click on the Registrar's tab.
- Find the Degree Applications and Awards link on the lower third of the page. Choose the correct session date that you need before clicking the link.
- Find the tool Graduate with Honors in Major List, and click on it.
- Select the filters for the specific major that you wish to view. This will bring up all students in Pursuing status for that particular major who have applied for graduation. (If filter fields are left blank, all information for all majors will appear for those in Pursuing status who have applied for graduation.)
- Change the student's Honors in the Major status from Pursuing to Initial Approval 1) by using the check box next to the student's name; 2) then by choosing Initial Approval; 3) and by clicking save.
Step Five: Verify Final Approval
As soon as final grades are known, the student’s status must be moved to Final Approval from Initial Approval if all Honors in the Major requirements are met, including the required GPAs.
This change from Initial Approval to Final Approval status is made using Degree Application and Awards list, discussed above.
- Login to MAUI and click on the Registrar's tab
- Find the Degree Applications and Awards link on the lower third of the Registrar's page. Choose the correct session date before clicking the link.
- Click on the list.
- Find the Graduate with Honors in Major List.
- Select the filters for the specific major you wish to view. This will bring up all students in Pursuing status for that particular major. (If filter fields are left blank, all information will occur for all majors and/or degree types.)
- Change the student's Honors in the Major status from Initial Approval to Final Approval 1) by using the check box next to the student's name on the Graduate with Honors Major List; 2) then choose Final Approval (or the correct status for the student); 3) and save.
Moving the student’s designation to Final Approval means that the student will be awarded Honors in the Major. All final grades should be known and all requirements completed before this status is changed to Final Approval.
The thesis or research project must be completed and graded for a student to be moved to Final Approval. A thesis should also be submitted by the student to the thesis archive and this should be done before graduation (see below).
Submission of the Thesis
Students who are completing Honors in the Major as a component for UI Honors experiential learning component should continue to use the UI Honors thesis submission form and follow its submission instructions.
Departments may want to use the same submission form currently in use by the UI Honors Program to facilitate checking of requirements and thesis completion, particularly since many students earning Honors in the Major also earn UI Honors.
Note: When an advisor identifies a student who is eligible for Honors in the Major but was unable to make this request on the degree application and thus who had not been moved to Initial or Final Approval by the date required, the advisor should immediately update the student's status using the appropriate tool. If the deadline has passed, please also send the student’s name and UID to Graduation Analysis (firstname.lastname@example.org) for manual entry.