CLAS faculty members are welcome to propose GE Core status for a course that has its administrative home in CLAS. Faculty from other UI colleges are also invited to participate in the GE CLAS Core by submitting proposals for courses with the administrative home in the instructor's college. A summary of requirements for GE proposals is available here.
Comprehensive Student Learning Outcomes of the GE CLAS Core
In order to reach the goals of the GE CLAS Core, the following student learning outcomes have been established by the General Education Curriculum Committee.
- Students reflect on the learning process.
- Students understand that learning can transform the individual and motivate change within society.
- Students practice the following learning strategies:
- Students practice the methods and modes of inquiry central to the area of study represented by the course and by its GE status area within the GE program.
- Students think critically, using analysis, deduction, inference and/or other analytical strategies to complete assignments and other course activities.
- Students read, write, and speak/listen informally and/or formally using methods of communication appropriate to the course content.
Specific GE CLAS Core area outcomes (such as Diversity and Inclusion) may be found at this page.