In the spring of 2024, the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences' Information Technologies Committee will consider proposals to create, maintain and improve collegiate instructional technology resources to be funded through 2024-2025 (or FY25) student technology fees. The committee is soliciting a broad range of proposals including requests to renew or revitalize existing technology, or to establish new initiatives in educational technology.
Any academic unit in the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences may submit proposals. Units with needs that can be effectively met in shared use facilities are encouraged to submit cooperative proposals. Single units may submit more than one proposal (including one-time or recurring projects); multiple proposals must be prioritized by the DEO.
If applicants would like to request additional engagement from CLAS Project Management for STF proposal concepts, please contact Jessica Yoder.
Proposals to be considered for FY2025 must be submitted by Wednesday, February 07, 2024.
Types of Proposals
The most common and preferred type of proposal. This category will include project requests that can be completed within one funding cycle.
This category will allow for departments with complex initiatives to submit proposals that will support technology resources for up to four years. The intent of this category is to support the operation, maintenance and refresh of longer-range pedagogical concepts. This will allow the College to identify local strategic direction for future funding opportunities.
All requests must include a clear explanation of the role of the technology in teaching, including the specific courses that will use the resources and the enrollments in these courses.
Off-Cycle Funding Requests:
Requests for funding after the fiscal year proposals submission window has closed are considered off-cycle requests. These requests must meet the same requirements as all STF proposals with the addition of urgency. In the off-cycle narrative, address why the funding is needed before the next fiscal year proposal submission window.
Submit off-cycle requests to Jessica Yoder.
Proposals are judged on the basis of four criteria:
- Impact on education and students
- Justification of need
- Expected utilization
- DEO prioity (completed in Workflow after submission)
Please attach the following items (in order) to this cover sheet:
- Narrative (1-2 pages maximum) – The proposal narrative must address the following:
- State the general purpose of the request and the educational needs to be addressed.
- Describe the role of the requested project in teaching.
- What specific courses will benefit from the project? Why is the project important for these courses?
- Describe course frequency and student enrollment based on records or projections.
- How will it benefit undergraduate students?
- Explain why available resources cannot meet this need.
Budget – The budget must include a detailed list of expected expenditures itemized into the following categories for each year:
- Hardware/Other Equipment (computers, peripheral devices, accessories); please specify representative model types for equipment priced over $1,000
- Software and licenses
- Other expenses such as wiring, supplies or furniture (furniture enables the requested technology)
- Labor (cost of labor for staff required to install, maintain, and/or support the project)
- Budget Justification (1 page) – The budget justification must explain why the budgeted items are needed to fulfill the needs of the proposal. In particular, the types and level of the major equipment purchases must be justified.
- Installation & Management Plan (1 page) – Please provide a comprehensive plan for the installation, support, and maintenance of the equipment and/or facility. It must address such infrastructure issues as space, accessibility, furniture, power, and networking, as well as any technical staffing requirements for the installation and the operation of the facility (including resources to provide that staffing). OneIT and Facilities Management will review proposals to help assess feasibility. Note that the sponsor of any proposal should request CLAS Technology Services staff to review and make suggestions on practicality of the project specifications. Please document that communication in the proposal.
- DEO Endorsement – The DEO of the department must provide a priority of how the proposal relates to the departmental strategy. This step will take place within your proposal's Workflow form.
FY25 Submission Period will reopen on 12/20/2023.