CLAS Information Technology Services Strategic Plan
The mission of College of Liberal Arts & Sciences (CLAS) Technology Services is to support the advancement of CLAS objectives by providing creative and supportable solutions that enhance the effective use of computing technology across the College’s academic, research and administrative units.
CLAS Technology Services Guiding Principles:
• Direction is inclusive and includes input from the Dean’s Office, technology professionals and our technology services customers.
• We strive to have a thorough understanding of the scholarship, research, and service needs of the departmental units and the College.
• The maximum value within the life cycle of technology deployments is sought, adopting new and retiring old technologies appropriately.
• Innovative value and thoughtful stewardship is at the core of effective use and application of technology and as such must consider the diverse needs of our faculty, staff and students.
• Efficiency, ease of use and sustainability are expected features of all new systems or technologies.
• Our technology vision embraces the concepts and ideals of universal accessibility, interacting with campus identity management, open data initiatives and strong inventory control processes.
• Security and privacy of electronic information are highly prioritized and all systems and infrastructure will meet required levels of security and privacy as set by the University of Iowa Operations Manual and Information Technology Services Security Office.
• We seek to balance centralized services with local services; technology is delivered collaboratively with central Information Technology Services (ITS) when possible to provide the most efficient and sustainable service.
The College awards more than 75% of UI bachelor’s degrees giving our students the skills and understanding that contribute to rewarding personal lives, satisfying and productive work, and informed participation in a diverse, multi-cultural society.
Fostering the growth of technology services and support is a critical pillar to ensuring this continued success as the students of tomorrow are largely expecting a culture of progressive adoption. Advancing this vision in the College’s instructional space must be evidence based and align with campus strategies.
The College is committed to supporting faculty research and creative work; CLAS Technology Services is committed to supporting the diverse technological environments that define this research. In dealing with the wide array of technology needs across disciplines, CLAS Technology Services may be seen as an integral link between local research areas and the sometimes complex services offered by central ITS. The world of funded and unfunded research efforts puts heavy stress on practical technology support. CLAS Technology Services recognizes this by maintaining an adaptable and inclusive set of standards and guidelines.
The paradigms of traditional methods of information creation, interaction and storage are changing. The need for immediately accessible, real-time information requires data standards and efficient technology.
Helping the staff in the College keep up with this pace and continue to be productive is a priority for CLAS Technology Services and is evidenced by advanced technology renewal, deployment, and management practices. CLAS Technology Services acts as a resource for all in CLAS for matters regarding technology consulting, purchasing, training and support.