Remotely Access University Resources (.docx) - Instructions for connecting to the University network from off campus
Access When You're Away (.docx) - Information on accessing University resources when you are away from your office computer
UI Microsoft Exchange E-mail Creation Requests - Links to have a new Microsoft Exchange e-mail account created for a user, a shared departmental account, or for a resource
UI Wireless Configuration Instructions - The University of Iowa ITS HelpDesk instructions for configuring various operating systems to work with the campus wireless service
Win7 Remote Desktop Connection - Information and instructions that will help you wake up and connect to your office PC from an off-campus PC after configuring both computers
VPN Troubleshooting Guide - Tips and tricks to resolve issues connecting to the University of Iowa network using the Cisco AnyConnect client
Folder Permissions (.docx) - Instructions to configure access permissions for shared departmental folders on the campus network
Recover a Previous Version of a File or Folder - Documentation provided by ITS on how to restore a corrupted or deleted file or folder stored on the CLAS network space
Configuring Outlook 2010 - A document provided by ITS for configuring Outlook 2010 for use with the University of Iowa campus Exchange e-mail system
ITS Computer Security Information - Information on keeping your computer safe and secure
ITS Anti-Spam Tool - Information on reducing the amount of spam mail you receive
HawkID Password Changes - Reset your University HawkID password online
Getting Started with Word 2010 - Introductory video introducing the navigation pane, document search, custom tabs, and more
Take a Tour of Outlook 2010 - Introductory video offering a quick tour of Outlook 2010
Getting Started with PowerPoint 2010 - Introductory video offering a quick tour of PowerPoint 2010
Getting Started with Excel 2010 - Introductory video offering a quick tour of Excel 2010
Introduction to the Access 2010 User Interface - Introductory video that introduces the new user interface
How do I...?
Save as a PDF in Microsoft Word 2010
The following steps detail how to use the Microsoft "SaveAsPDFandXPS.exe" add-in. Assuming that the add-in is installed, to create a simple PDF of an existing document:
- Choose file, and then choose "Save As."
- Click the PDF or XPS link.
- Enter the desired name in the File Name field; ensure that ".pdf" is selected in the Save As field.
- Select the desired location to save the file (usually "My Documents").
- If desired, check the box labeled "Open file after publishing" (this box is available only if a PDF reader is installed).
- Select the desired optimization radio button: if the document requires high print quality, select "Standard (saving online and printing)"; if the print quality is less important than file size, select "Minimum size (publishing online)."
- If desired, click the Options button in order to set the page range to be printed, to choose whether markup should be printed, and to select the output options. Click the OK button when finished setting any of the desired option settings.
- Click the Publish button.
Configure an Outlook 2010 Personal Address Book
The campus global address list is used within Microsoft Outlook as the default contact list. If you wish to utilize a personal address list, follow the steps below.
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2010.
- Click on the Home tab and then click on the Address Book (located on the right end of the toolbar).
- Select the Tools | Options menu item on the window that appears.
- From the "when Opening the Address Book, Show this Address List First" drop-down menu, scroll down and select "Outlook Address Book | Contacts."
- Click the OK button to accept the changes and close the Addressing window.
- Select the File | Close menu item to close the Address Book window.
- To change the way the address are shown (by first name or by last name):
-Select File, Account Settings menu, and then choose Account Settings.
-Click the Address Book tab on the window that appears.
-Highlight the desired address book to change, and then click the Change button.
-Select the desired method of showing the names, and then click the Close button.
-Click the Close button to close the Account Settings window.
- Close and reopen Microsoft Outlook 2010 for the changes to take effect.
Remove an Attached Item Without Deleting the E-mail From Outlook 2010
In order to save storage space, at times it is advantageous to remove an attachment from a received e-mail, but still retain the body of the message. If you wish to remove an attached item, follow the steps below.
- Open Microsoft Outlook 2010.
- Locate the e-mail with the attached item to be removed.
- Double-click the e-mail to open it in its own window.
- Right-click on the attached item's icon (near the top of the message window), and select "Remove Attachment" from the fly-out menu.
- Once the attached item has been deleted, close the message and save changes when prompted.
Scan a Picture in Windows 7
- Click the Start button, click All Programs, and then click Windows Fax and Scan.
- Click on Scan in the lower left pane. To forward scanned documents to a network folder, click the Tools menu, and then click Scan Routing and select your preferred option and Save. The folder name is most likely this: \\home.iowa.uiowa.edu\<your_HawkID>
- On the toolbar, click New Scan.
- In the New Scan dialog box, click the Profile list, and then ensure the default "Profile: Photo" is selected. Select the desired color options from the "Color:" format drop-down list.
- Select the desired file type to use when saving the scan from the "File type:" drop-down list. (A TIF will be larger than the same picture saved as a .JPG because .JPG can be compressed, which makes the file smaller - at the cost of lower visual quality.)
- Select the resolution to use when scanning the file from the "Resolution (DPI):" field. (Resolution is the amount of detail that is visible in an image. Use a higher number such as 300 for good quality printouts, or use a lower number such as 96 for monitor only viewing.)
- Adjust the brightness and contrast settings to achieve the initial desired effect.
- Click the Preview button to see how the picture will appear when scanned, making adjustments and previewing again as needed.
- Click Scan button to scan the picture.
- When finished scanning, select the File | Exit menu to close Windows Fax and Scan.
- Accessing personal network space
- Accessing departmental network space with Windows XP
- Accessing departmental network space with Windows 7
For more information about accessing files on and off campus, click here.
Windows Network Printing (.pdf) - Directions for Windows 7 CLAS computers on how to connect and print to a network printer on the IOWA domain
Print Accounting - Information related to the ITS managed print accounting system
Remove a Printer Driver
There may be a time when a problem may only be resolved by removing a printer driver entirely from the local machine. The following steps may be performed to remove the driver:
- Open Devices and Printers located on the Start menu (or within the Control Panel).
- Select the Printer and click on the Print Server Properties button.
- Click the Drivers tab.
- Highlight the driver to be deleted, and then click the Remove button.
- Click the OK button on the window that appears to delete the driver.
- Click the Yes button on the window that appears to delete the driver.
- Click the Close button to close the Print Server Properties window.
- Right-click on any printers that utilize the driver to be deleted and select Remove Device.
- If prompted, click the Yes button on the Printers window that appears.
- Close the windows and restart the computer.