Proposals for Faculty Searches in 2018-19
Proposals for new faculty searches (tenure-track and clinical-track) for 2018-19 are due to the College by February 21, 2018.
The College is asking departments to propose new faculty hires in strategic areas that promote prestigious scholarship, creative activity, and exceptional instruction.
Proposals should reflect the department’s commitment to undergraduate and graduate education, to scholarly impact within the department, and where appropriate, to broader strengths and emerging areas in CLAS and the University. Only one proposal per department will be considered.
The following items must be included in proposals. Note: Maximum page length for items #1-3 below: 1-3 pages per section; total document not to exceed 6 pages. Please use 11 pt. font.
1.Hiring Plan and Departmental Overview
Provide a statement of departmental vision and a summary of recent progress, accomplishments, or initiatives (e.g., in undergraduate education, graduate education, scholarly/creative work). Provide a prioritized three- to five-year faculty hiring plan and describe how the search would advance departmental goals.
2. Search Proposals
Faculty search proposals for 2018-19 should describe the position requested and give a rationale for the position based on the department’s hiring plan and its alignment with departmental, collegiate, and University strategic plans. Proposals must use the form provided and contain the following sections (see the form linked here):
- Position title and rank requested (with a justification if request is for rank other than assistant professor);
- Position Description
- Intellectual impact (Explanation of the area and its importance for the department, the discipline, and/or for cross-disciplinary work, and its potential for advancing knowledge, discovery, or creative activity). CLAS strongly discourages search requests open as to area.
- Impact on the undergraduate program and curriculum;
- Impact on the graduate program and curriculum; and
- Broader impact (e.g., through dissemination/application of knowledge; through public engagement or outreach; through broader participation of underrepresented groups; or through other ways of benefitting the public).
Identify the office and (if applicable), lab space as well as any start-up or renovation needs. Use the appropriate Excel form available here. One sheet is for the sciences and other departments where start-up is negotiated, and the other is for the arts, humanities, and other departments with standard start-up.
Submit proposals via MAX 2.0 as a single bookmarked pdf. Please remember that when an allocation request is initiated AY 2019-20 must be selected, as this is when the line will be filled.
- PDF Bookmarks:
- Dept. Faculty (N:\Accounting\Dept Name\FTE Summary\Dept Name FTE 17-18)*
- Dept. Profile (N:\Accounting\Dept. Name\2017-2018 CLAS Reports\Dept. #
Name AY17-18 Department Profile Stats.pdf)*
- Dept. Research (N:\Accounting\Dept. Name\2017-2018 CLAS Reports\Dept. #
Name AY17-18 Department Research.pdf)*
- Hiring Plan_Dept Overview
- Search Proposal
- Start-up Estimate
Please address questions regarding this call for proposals to Dian Gottlob, Office of the Dean (335-2627, firstname.lastname@example.org).
*Data will be available December 1, 2017.