Geographical Information Systems Instructional Lab (GISIL)
The Geographical Information Systems Instructional Lab (GISIL) is GIS centric computer lab used to teach GIS, cartography, and remote sensing. The GISIL is equipped with 28 high-end workstations, each equipped with a secondary monitor to support this type of work. The lab also hosts instructional support technology and an array of special purpose peripherals and software (e.g., ArcGIS Desktop/Pro, Q-GIS, ENVI, GPS units, etc.). When not in use for a class or trainings the lab is open for student use.
For the Fall 2023 Semester the GIS Lab (GISIL) will be open for student use between the hours of:
- 8:00 am and 8:30 pm (Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday)
- 8:00 am and 5:00 pm (Wednesday)
- 8:00 am and 7:00 pm (Friday)
- 12:00 pm and 7:00 pm (Saturday)
Please see the schedule (below) for "open" lab times and check back as we are planning to add weekend hours.
TA Schedule: A lab TA will be available to assist students during most evening and weekend hours.
Please see schedule (image below) for free/open and scheduled class times.
- Please read
- Please check to make sure that there is not a class in session before you enter the space.
- Due to continued efforts to curb the spread of COVID19, masks are strongly encouraged.
- GISIL Does NOT have central air handling, making this even more important to note.
- Please read the Guidelines for Behavior in the GISIL.
- No food or drink is permitted in this space.
- Please help us in taking care of this space by cleaning up after yourself should you create a mess.
- Failure to follow the rules can get your access to this space revoked
Please note that the lab will not be staffed at all times during the day (assistance may not abe available at these times)
If you are not currently enrolled in a class which meets in GISIL you may need to request access: GIS Lab Access Request Form
Again, if you are enrolled in a GIS course hosted by the Geography Department, you should already have access.
Please note that it may take a few days to be granted access and you will NOT be notified. Plan accordingly.