Undergraduate Academic Advising
Advising for first-year students:
First-year students and those with less than 24 s.h. earned are advised at the Academic Advising Center. The Center’s team of advisors specializes in transitioning students to academic and student life at Iowa. Working with an assigned caseload, the advisors help each student plan for a successful academic start at Iowa.
Advising during sophomore through senior years:
Hannah Whitcomb serves as the Academic Advisor for Geographical and Sustainability Sciences/EPPL students who have earned at least 24 s.h. until graduation.
How to contact your advisor:
For quick questions, please e-mail Hannah at email@example.com.
For adding and dropping courses and other immediate issues, stop by Hannah’s walk-in hours in 121C Trowbridge Hall.
Scheduling an individual appointment is recommended if you would like to review your degree audit, discuss course registration, map out a plan to graduation, or have questions for which you would like to have an extended conversation. To schedule an appointment with Hannah, please use the online scheduler or call Hannah at 319-335-1889.
She is available to assist students with the following:
- Advisor signatures on add/drop and other university forms
- Questions regarding course registration
- Questions or problems with your degree audit
- Academic probation
- Discussions regarding adding second majors, minors, and certificate programs
- Involvement in internships, research, or volunteer experiences
- Information regarding campus resources for students
- Other questions or concerns you may have
In addition, you are encouraged to meet with faculty in your area of academic interest. While you will continue to meet with Hannah for routine advising functions, faculty members can provide further assistance in the following areas:
- Disciplinary guidance for research projects
- Mentoring for honors theses and projects
- Discussions regarding graduate and professional school aspirations
- Supervision of off-site student internships
We encourage you to allow faculty members the opportunity to get to know you well enough that they can provide expert advice tailored to your individual interests.
121C Trowbridge Hall