Emily has worked for the University of Iowa since 2003 and started at The University of Iowa Children's Hospital as a Certified Child Life Specialist. She began teaching evening classes in 2006 and then in 2009, Emily taught full-time for The University of Iowa in the undergraduate child life curriculum. In 2015, The University of Iowa offered an M.S. in Child Life and Emily is the full-time advisor and instructor in child life courses. Emily believes in experiential learning and promoting volunteerism in her students. She currently volunteers with Iowa City Hospice, Make-A-Wish Iowa, and Girls on the Run of Eastern Iowa and serves on numerous committees for the Association of Child Life Professionals.
- Certified Child Life Specialist (CCLS)
- Certified Therapeutic Recreation Specialist (CTRS)
- Introduction to Child Life
- Child Life Practicum
- Child Life: Methods and Materials
- Child Life Seminar
- Play and Childhood
- Professional Ethics and Practice in Pediatrics
- Child Life Internship Supervision
- Spring Break Child Life Experience: Give Kids the World
- Special Projects in Child Life Practice: In-hospital winter camping, Camp Have-A-Lotsa-Fun-A
- School Re-entry programs for hospitalized pediatric patients
- Promoting Play in the hospital and community
- Promoting Happiness and Resiliency in students and professionals
April 2016: Week of the Young Child, The Iowa Children's Museum, Iowa City, IA, "Permission to Play"
April 2016: Iowa Therapeutic Recreation Association Annual conference, Cedar Fall, IA, "Play: The Importance in Childhood"
September 2015: Iowa Parks and Recreation Association, Des Moines, IA, “Play the Importance in Childhood”
April 2015: Iowa Therapeutic Recreation Association Annual conference, Cedar Falls, IA, “Life Well-Lived, the Happiness Project”
Nov. 2014: Midwest Child Life Conference, Milwaukee, WI, “Child Life Well-Lived, the Happiness Project”
Nov. 2010: Midwest Child Life Conference, Kansas City, MO. “Make Time for Silly: Play Interventions”
Honors and Awards
Make-A-Wish Iowa, Iowa City Committee Volunteer of the Year, April 2015
University of Iowa Fraternity and Sorority Life Awards Faculty Member of the Year, May 2014