NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship: University of Arizona (Tucson, AZ)
• Virtual Soldier Research Program (UI Center for Computer-Aided Design, College of Engineering; http://www.ccad.uiowa.edu/vsr/)
• Free Radical & Radiation Biology Program (UI Department of Radiation Oncology, Carver College of Medicine; http://www.uiowa.edu/~frrbp/index.html)
• 027:130 Human Physiology
• 027:141 Exercise Physiology
• 027:148 Physiology of Aging
• 027:241 Integrative Physiology Seminar
• 050:240 Human Organ Systems (Carver College of Medicine)
1. Elucidation of cardiovascular, thermoregulatory, and metabolic mechanisms by which an organism copes with various stresses (e.g., exercise, heat, hypoxia).
2. Factors impacting the changes in stress tolerance (e.g., stress proteins, oxidative stress, metabolic dysfunction) aging, diseased, and healthy young systems.
3. Integration of human physiological testing with physics-based digital human modeling and simulation tools for the development of predictive models for enhanced performance and injury prevention.
• Associate Editor, Journal of Applied Physiology (http://jap.physiology.org).
• Chair, Animals in Research and Education Subcommittee, FASEB Science Policy Committee (http://www.the-aps.org/mm/hp/Audiences/APS-Committees/sciencepolicy).
• Chair, Science Policy Committee, American Physiological Society (http://www.faseb.org/Policy-and-Government-Affairs/Science-Policy-Issues...).
• Board of Trustees, AAALAC (Association for the Assessment and Accreditation of Laboratory Animal Care, International; http://www.aaalac.org)
• Co-Chair, FABEB International Summit on ‘The Threat of Extremism to Medical Research’.(http://www.faseb.org/Portals/0/PDFs/opa/Animal%20Extremism%20Conference%...).
• Steering Committee, University of Iowa Aging Mind and Brain Initiative (http://ambi.uiowa.edu).
• Steering Committee, University of Iowa Obesity Research and Education Initiative (http://obesity.uiowa.edu/index.html).
• Smoot MK, Amendola A, Cramer E, Doyle C, Kregel KC, Chiang HY, Cavanaugh JE, and Herwaldt LA. A Cluster of Exertional Rhabdomyolysis Affecting a Division I Football Team. Clin J Sport Med. May 2013.
• Crandall CG, Wilson TE, and Kregel KC. Highlighted Topic: Mechanisms and modulators of temperature regulation. J Appl Physiol. 109: 1219-1220, 2010.
• Haak JL, Spitz DR, Buettner GA, and Kregel KC. Aging augments mitochondrial susceptibility to environmental stress. Am J Physiol: Regul Integr Comp Physiol 296:R812-20, 2009.
• Bloomer SA, Brown KE, Zhang HJ, and Kregel KC. Differential regulation of hepatic heme oxygenase-1 protein with aging and heat stress. J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci, 64A(4): 419-425, 2009.
• Haak J and Kregel KC. 1962-2007: A cell stress odyssey. Novartis Found Symp 291:3-15, 2008.