School of Social Work Support

We provide full time students with a competitive, multi-year financial package (full tuition, an assistantship, a health and dental insurance allowance). We also provide travel awards and dissertation awards.

University of Iowa Support

In addition to funding through the School of Social Work, applicants may be eligible for funding through the Graduate College, Graduate & Professional Student Government (GPSG), other departments at the University and organizations outside the University (see below). The director of the PhD program works with students to identify sources of funding, and the Division of Sponsored Programs and the student’s mentor help the student apply for external funding.

The Graduate College awards dissertation-year fellowships, summer fellowships and travel awards. The SSW applies to the Graduate College to secure these awards at the time applicants are selected into the program.  For a complete list of awards from the Graduate College, go to:

For information of funding from GPSG, go to:

International travel awards are available from the Office for Study Abroad:

Some students may also be eligible for awards through the Student Disabilities Services (SDS) Office. Please refer to the SDS website for guidelines:

External Pre- and-Post Doctoral Support

Information about funding for social work PhD education, including dissertation support, from outside the University of Iowa can be obtained by going to:

Social Work Research Network:

The Council on Social Work Education’s website (CSWE):

The Group for the Advancement of Doctoral Education’s website (GADE):

The Society for Social Work Research’s (SSWR) website: