Online MSW Program
Click here to read the story in Iowa Now
The next cohort will begin their studies in Summer 2022.
No GRE required! Click here to view the sequence of courses for the program.
The University of Iowa offers an online Master of Social Work program every 2 years, to small cohorts of students from Iowa and its bordering states. The UI curriculum focuses on diversity, social justice, and organizational/community leadership. A variety of electives and practicum placements offer flexibility for students to prepare for a number of fields of practice, such as Aging and Longevity, Resilience and Trauma, Mental Health, or School Social Work. Their strong emphasis on individualized mentoring and student cohort cohesion results in outstanding student success rates, and their licensure test pass rates are among the highest in the nation.
To qualify, you should:
- Live in Iowa or bordering states who because of geography or life circumstances cannot access our Sioux City, Des Moines, Quad Cities or Iowa City learning centers.
- Have either a BSW or a 4 year degree in another discipline.
- Commit to both evening classes in real time using video conferencing and asynchronous classes in which course work is done independently, adhering to deadlines.
- Be willing and able to participate annually in a required 2- to 3-day Summer Institute in Iowa City and a meeting each semester with fellow students in your geographic area.
- Be willing to work with the Online MSW Program Field Administrator to develop and secure practicum (internship) placement(s) in your community.
And show potential for being a successful online learner, which calls for:
- Capable time-management skills
- Effective communication skills in an online environment
- Regular access to high speed Internet, a computer, a headset/microphone, web camera, and other necessary learning tools
- Basic technical skills involving computer hardware, software, Internet navigation, downloading and uploading documents
- Good reading and writing skills, maturity and persistence
- Motivation and the ability to work independently
- Willingness to work on group projects using technology
- A quiet space where you could participate in class online
Is an online program a good fit for you? Talk to our advisor and get your questions answered.
Questions about the application process? Contact firstname.lastname@example.org
SAVE THE DATES:
Virtual graduation ceremony will take place Thursday, May 13, 2021, at 6 pm (Central Time). More details will be shared on our Events page as the date nears.
Our 2021 Summer Institute will take place on Saturday, August 14, 2021, from 9 am to 2pm (Central Time). More details will be shared with students as the date nears.