Online MSW Program
Are you interested in an online MSW Program in Social Work?
In May 2018, the University of Iowa will begin its new 3 year, part-time, online MSW Program
Watch a short video about this program! https://sharestream.uiowa.edu/ssdcms/ipublic.do?u=88a3606e6c2b4dc
Are you ready? Complete this test to find out: https://distance.uiowa.edu/are-you-ready-online
To qualify you should :
- Live in Iowa or bordering states who because of geography or life circumstances cannot access our Sioux City, Des Moines, Quad Cities or Iowa City learning centers.
- Have either a BSW or a 4 year degree in another discipline.
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher. If you do not have this minimum GPA, you can consult with us for information on possible options.
- Can commit to both evening classes in real time using video conferencing, and asynchronous classes in which course work is done independently, adhering to deadlines
- Be willing and able to participate in a mandatory four day Summer Institute in Iowa City each year
- Be willing to work with the Online MSW Program Field Administrator to develop and secure practicum( internship ) placement(s) in your community. Students with an undergraduate social work degree will do one 700 hour Advanced Practicum in the third year of the program; students with degrees in other fields will do a 210 hour foundation practicum in the second summer of the program and a 700 hour Advanced Practicum in the third year of the program.
One of the goals of the Special Commission to Advance Macro Practice is to have 20% of MSW students concentrating their studies in macro practice by the year 2020. Of our currently enrolled advanced students, 32% are focusing on macro practice.
Be interested in our Integrated Concentration, which is for people who want to do one or more of these macro social work functions/roles :
- Staff Supervision
- Executive Director of agency
- Medical social work
- Hospice/end-of-life social work
- School social work
- Case Management
- Influencing public and organizational policy
- Grant writing
- Social Justice and Social Change
- Community organizing and development
- Social and economic development
- Holding elected office
- Managing non-government organizations(NGOs)
- Leading public social welfare
- Organizational and community leadership.
Show potential for being a successful online learner :
- Capable time-management skills
- Effective communication skills in an online environment
- Regular access to high speed Internet, a computer, a headset/microphone, web camera, and other necessary learning tools
- Basic technical skills involving computer hardware, software, Internet navigation, downloading and uploading documents
- Good reading and writing skills, maturity and persistence
- Motivation and the ability to work independently
- Willingness to work on group projects using technology
- A quiet space where you could participate in class online
Classes begin in May 2018! No GRE required! Click here to view the sequence of courses for the program.
The online program uses a cohort model in which approximately 25 students will build a learning community, engaging actively with University of Iowa faculty. Three times a year, students in your geographic area will meet as a group with local social work practitioners.
Early decision deadline for application is December 1st, 2017. Final deadline is February 1, 2018.
The Summer Institute is scheduled for August 4-7, 2018 in Iowa City, IA.
Learn more about our MSW program by going here. Online MSW Information Sessions will be held from 5:30-6:30 pm on these Thursdays: October 12, 26, November 16, 30, December 7, 14, and January 11, 2018. You can join in from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android by going here https://uiowa.zoom.us/j/6125886733 Sign up in advance here.
Is this a good fit for you?
Talk to our advisor and get your questions answered.
Email now or call 319-335-1250.
Applications accepted beginning in September.
Facebook Page-UIOWA MSW ONLINE
#UIowaMSWOnline Connect with Twitter