Online MSW Program
The Summer 2020 cohort classes started in May.
We are no longer accepting applications for the Summer 2020 cohort.
The next cohort is proposed to start in Summer 2022.
No GRE required! Click here to view the sequence of courses for the program.
For MSW students seeking summer financial aid it is important to know three things:
- Summer financial aid is tied to the previous fall/spring FAFSA so for summer students in 2020 they need to file the 2019-20 FAFSA.
- Students need to be registered for summer classes before they can apply for summer financial aid in MyUI.
- Once students have filed the FAFSA and are registered they can fill out the summer financial aid application found in MyUI (under the financial aid tile).
The online program uses a cohort model in which approximately 25 students will build a learning community, engaging actively with University of Iowa faculty. Twice a year, students in your geographic area will meet as a group with local social work practitioners.
Watch a short video about this program! https://sharestream.uiowa.edu/ssdcms/ipublic.do?u=88a3606e6c2b4dc
To qualify you should:
- Live in Iowa or bordering states who because of geography or life circumstances cannot access our Sioux City, Des Moines, Quad Cities or Iowa City learning centers.
- Have either a BSW or a 4 year degree in another discipline.
- Have an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or higher. If you do not have this minimum GPA, you can consult with us for information on possible options.
- Can commit to both evening classes in real time using video conferencing and asynchronous classes in which course work is done independently, adhering to deadlines.
- Be willing and able to participate annually in a required 2- to 3-day Summer Institute in Iowa City and a meeting each semester with fellow students in your geographic area.
- Be willing to work with the Online MSW Program Field Administrator to develop and secure practicum (internship) placement(s) in your community.
Be interested in our Integrated Concentration, which is for people who want to do one or more of these macro social work functions/roles:
- Staff Supervision
- Executive Director of agency
- Medical social work
- Hospice/end-of-life social work
- School social work
- Case Management
- Influencing public and organizational policy
- Grant writing
- Social Justice and Social Change
- Community organizing and development
- Social and economic development
- Holding elected office
- Managing non-government organizations(NGOs)
- Leading public social welfare
- Organizational and community leadership.
Show potential for being a successful online learner:
- Capable time-management skills
- Effective communication skills in an online environment
- Regular access to high speed Internet, a computer, a headset/microphone, web camera, and other necessary learning tools
- Basic technical skills involving computer hardware, software, Internet navigation, downloading and uploading documents
- Good reading and writing skills, maturity and persistence
- Motivation and the ability to work independently
- Willingness to work on group projects using technology
- A quiet space where you could participate in class online
Talk to our advisor and get your questions answered.
or call (515) 235-4662
Questions about the application process?