What is Lathrop’s story?
Lathrop’s continuing focus is on datajournalism, working at the intersection of data visualization, data analysis and investigative reporting. He is a contributor to news organizations including the Iowa Center for Public Affairs Journalism (IowaWatch).
Prior to joining the University of Iowa faculty in 2015, Lathrop worked for 15 years as a reporter and data editor at news organizations including The Dallas Morning News, Seattle P-I, Center for Public Integrity and The Tribune of Ames, Iowa. He was a co-founder of InvestigateWest, an award winning nonprofit investigative news studio, and participated in the formation of the Investigative News Network (now Institute for Nonprofit News).
Lathrop also serves as journalism adviser for students in Media Informatics.
- JMC:3400 Specialized Reporting and Writing
- Crime Reporting
- Political Reporting
- JMC:3405 Depth Reporting
- JMC:3600 Topics in Media Production
- Data Journalism
Lathrop, Daniel, and Ruma, Laurel, eds. (2010). Open Government. Sebastopol, CA: O’Reilly.
Lathrop has been a member of teams that won numerous major journalism awards, including:
- Best of Digital Design Award of Excellence, Society for News Design (2014)
- Texas Associated Press Managing Editors, Star Investigative Report of the Year (2012)
- Award in Criminal Justice Reporting (series), John Jay College of Criminal Justice (2009)
- White House Correspondents Association, Edgar A. Poe Award (2008)
- Investigative Reporters and Editors, certificate finalist (2004, 2006, 2007)
- Sigma Delta Chi Award Public Service in Online Journalism (2004)
- National Award for Outstanding Online Reporting, Society of Environmental Journalists (2004)