GHS:4990 Independent Project in Global Health
Global Health Studies student participates in a needs assessment/ sustainable development
project in Ghana with a UI faculty member
GHS:4990 Independent Project in Global Health
Students may propose an independent project and register for GHS:4990 Independent Project in Global Health under the supervision of an approved Global Health Studies faculty mentor.
Registration Preapproval Form and Proposal Instructions (content also displayed below)
Students must print the form, complete the form, then have their faculty mentor sign the form before the student submits it (along with their proposal) to the Global Health Studies Program.
PLEASE NOTE: Any research which involves "human subjects" must be reviewed by the University of Iowa Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to the initiation of the research project. Proof of the determination/ review process must also be submitted to the Global Health Studies Program before enrolling in GHS:4990 Independent Project in Global Health. Read a summary of the IRB process on the International Programs website. For all questions, contact the IRB at 319/335-6465; or complete the IRB determination form to find out if your research meets the definition of human subjects research.
GHS: 4990 INDEPENDENT project in global health
(Students must submit their completed form and proposal to the Global Health Studies Program. They will receive an email within 5 business days that they have either been given permission to enroll in GHS:4990 Independent Project in GH, or that their proposal requires revision).
Student Name________________________________ Student ID number________________
E-mail____________________________ Major/degree program________________________
Semester of registration_________________________________________________________
Number of semester hours requested for this independent project______________________
Faculty Supervisor Name________________________________________________________
Faculty Supervisor E-mail_______________________________________________________
Will this independent project be submitted as the Global Health Project for the Global Health Studies certificate?
______ Yes (must also submit GH Project preapproval /proposal paperwork; see the GHS website)
Human Subjects in Research: Any research project which involves "human subjects" must be reviewed by the Institutional Review Board (IRB) prior to the initiation of the project. Students should complete an online IRB determination form at: http://hso.research.uiowa.edu/human-subjects-research-determinations. Proof of the determination/ review process must also be submitted to the Global Health Studies Program. Contact the IRB at 319/335-6465 or firstname.lastname@example.org
My research project is subject to IRB approval (please check one):
Faculty Approval: I agree to serve as faculty supervisor of this project, have approved the attached project proposal, and the student and I have agreed on the expectations and grading criteria for this project. Furthermore, I am permitted, under my home department’s guidelines, to supervise independent student projects.
Faculty signature:________________________________________ Date:_______________
Student Statement: I have reviewed all policies and procedures for GHS:4990 Independent Project in GH, have talked with my faculty supervisor about expectations and grading criteria for this project, and understand all requirements and deadlines.
Student Signature_________________________________________ Date:_______________
GHS: 4990 INDEPENDENT PROJECT in global health
The Global Health Studies Program (GHSP) offers students the opportunity to earn credit for independent work completed under the supervision of an approved UI faculty mentor. Independent projects must be approved by the GHSP Faculty Director prior to student registration.
- Students must be in academic good standing to register for GHS: 4990 Independent Project in Global Health.
- Students must submit a Project Proposal and completed Registration Preapproval form prior to receiving permission to enroll in GHS: 4990.
- If students wish to satisfy any part of their Global Health Studies certificate, minor or major requirements by means of GHS: 4990 Independent Project in Global Health they must obtain prior approval from the Global Health Studies Program (contact the GHSP academic advisor).
- A maximum of 3 s.h. of GHS:4990 Independent Project in GH credit may be used in the GHS certificate or minor. A maximum of 6 s.h. of GHS:4990 Independent Project in GH credit may be used in the GHS BA or BS.
Student must attach a project proposal to the Registration Preapproval form. The proposal must be typed and must include:
- A one-page description of the project, including:
- the dates and location of your work
- a specific research question
- a brief narrative, and
- the final format of the project (e.g. research paper, poster presentation, multi media project, etc)
- the grading criteria to be used by your faculty supervisor (i.e. 40% methodology, 20% style…)
- A rationale for the number of semester hours requested for the project
- A timeline for the project, including but not limited to:
- a plan for a preliminary literature review
- how often and by what method you will consult with your faculty mentor throughout the project
- target completion dates for the first and second drafts of your project, if applicable, and
- a final completion date
- A reading list, in a recognized bibliography format, including at least ten works consulted in your preliminary planning and identification of a research question.
- If you intend to complete all or part of the work for this independent project while off campus you must include:
- information regarding any international contacts and resources
- your plan for ongoing communication with your faculty mentor, and
- an explanation as to what preliminary work you intend to pursue before departure.
Proof that an application has been submitted to the Human Subjects Office (Institutional Review Board) if necessary (see Registration Preapprova