The Communication Studies Department provides opportunities to expand and enhance your educational experiences through special honors sections of courses designated by the H code on MyUI and by offering you opportunities to complete honors projects or assignments.
Based upon your GPA at Iowa and in Communication Studies, you might also be invited to join Lambda Pi Eta, the official communication studies honor society of the National Communication Association (NCA).
The department also offers financial assistance for student’s travel to undergraduate honors conferences in cases where a student presents a paper.
University Honors Program Requirements
- Minimum grade point: 3.33 UI GPA
- Honors coursework: 12 semester hours
- Visit the UI Honors website for more information on courses as taken as honors, commendations, research, teaching assistantships, and more.
Graduating with Honors in Communication Studies
In order to graduate with honors in Communication Studies, students must meet these Departmental Requirements:
- Find Communication Studies faculty member to serve as Chair for the required Thesis Committee
- Register for COMM:2898 Honors Workshop (1 semester hour) during Spring term Junior Year.
- Register for COMM:2899 Honors Thesis (3 semester hours & successful defense of the thesis before the Thesis Committee) during the Fall term your Senior year if possible.
Thesis Committee Chair
In the semester prior to taking the Honors Workshop, you must find a faculty member who is willing to serve as the committee chair for your thesis project. You and the faculty member must sign the Honors Project Completion Form and the signed form must be submitted to the Department’s Honors Director or Senior Academic Advisor before registering for the Honors Workshop. (Forms are also available from the Senior Academic Advisor or in the Main Office.)
The honors thesis provides the student with a unique opportunity to develop special expertise and to contribute knowledge and insight in a selected area of Communication Studies. The thesis is a substantial piece of independent work and may take the form of a creative project (sound design, video, screenplay) or a critical, historical, theoretical, or social-scientific study.
Deadlines & Forms
Students must meet deadlines for the thesis project and file the appropriate forms and other paperwork required by the University’s Honors Program. The Honors Project Completion Form must be completed and signed by the designated deadlines at each stage of the project. After the successful completion of the defense of the thesis, the student must submit and deliver the required forms and copies of the thesis to the Senior Academic Advisor and the University’s Honors Program Office.
Honors thesis due by the end of the 11th week of the semester.
Defense of thesis due by the end of the 13th week of the semester.
Departmental Honors Program Contact Information
Lambda Pi Eta Communication Studies Honor Society
Lambda Pi Eta is the official honor society of the National Communication Association (NCA). Each year, students who qualify for membership are invited to join.
Lambda stands for "logic," Pathos (Pi) refers to emotion, and Ethos (Eta) is defined as character credibility and ethics, which guide the members of this honor society.
Goals of Lambda Pi Eta
- Recognize, foster and reward outstanding scholastic achievement in communication
- Stimulate interest in the field of communication
- Promote and encourage professional development among communication majors
- Provide an opportunity to discuss and exchange ideas in the field of communication
- Establish and maintain closer relationships between faculty and students
- Explore options for graduate education in communication studies
Induction ceremonies are held annually to mark students' scholarly accomplishments at which time each student receives a personalized induction certificate and a Lambda Pi Eta lapel pin. Students also receive honor cords to wear at graduation ceremonies.
There is a $45* one-time membership fee which covers lifetime membership in Lambda Pi Eta.
*Fee determined by Lambda Pi Eta National Committee and subject to change