Remote Linux Access/FastX Desktop Client
Certain OpenGL based applications and/or other graphically intensive applications (like YouTube) will not work in a FastX session.
Use only blank screen settings for xscreensaver. The animated screen savers waste server resources.
When you are finished please LOG OUT. If you do not log out you can RECONNECT by clicking an existing session and using the "play" shaped button.
Desktop client install instructions
- Use any browser to connect to: https://fastx.divms.uiowa.edu/.
- Click the "Close" bottom after you've read the message of the day and legal disclaimers.
- Click the "Desktop Client" link in the lower right hand corner of the screen and pick the version appropriate to your operating system:
- Install or unpack the downloaded application and launch it. Choose the "+" symbol to create a connection:
- Fill in the connection information as below using your own HawkID in the user field.
- Accept the ssh key, it should match the screen shot below.
- Once you are connected you will need to again choose the "+" symbol to create a new session:
- Choose MATE (or XFCE) and click ok to create the session: