We know this is a stressful time and you have many questions. Please refer to the information below for common questions and answers. This information is subject to change. All other policies and procedures remain unchanged.
If you have questions not answered here, please contact your academic advisor or our staff in Academic Programs and Student Development at firstname.lastname@example.org or 319-335-2633.
- COVID-19 Absence Information for CLAS Students
- COVID-19 Temporary Procedure – Adding courses after the deadline
- Temporary Alternative Learning Arrangement (TALA) eligibility for the spring 2021 semester
SPRING 2020 SEMESTER ONLY
Please see the following links for information on COVID-19 related absences.
If you want to add a course offered by the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences (identified by Admin: College of Liberal Arts and Sciences in the MyUI course description) after the 10th day of the semester, or to add on or after the start date for an off-cycle, summer, or winter session course, email both your academic advisor and the primary course instructor to obtain permission to add the course. After you have obtained those permissions, forward the email(s) to email@example.com from your University of Iowa email account to request Dean's permission to add the course after the deadline. Be sure to include your University ID number or Hawk ID, as well as the course number (including section number), course name, and number of credits (for variable credit courses).
Additional information on making registration changes for fall 2020 may be found on the Registrar's website at https://registrar.uiowa.edu/changes-registration.
TALA (Temporary Alternative Learning Arrangement) eligibility is for students who are medically vulnerable and at higher risk for severe illness from COVID-19. TALA approval for spring 2021 allows a student to register for the spring semester on December 1, 2020.
- Students approved for TALA in fall 2020 will have their TALA status automatically renewed for spring 2021.
- Students who wish to seek TALA eligibility for spring must complete the application found at https://coronavirus.uiowa.edu/academics/temporary-alternative-learning-arrangements-tala.
- The deadline to apply for TALA in order to register on December 1 is Friday, November 20, 2020.
After TALA is approved:
- Students should review their schedule to see whether the option of online is currently available for their courses and make any registration changes they can on their own.
- Many courses may not have an online option. Students should work with their academic advisor, listed in MyUI, or their collegiate office to identify classes appropriate for a completely online course schedule or to find a substitution course.
- TALA eligibility does not allow students to request modality changes to face to face courses for an individual student’s accommodation.
Spring 2020 semester only
A temporary Pass/Nonpass (P/N) grading option has been adopted for all undergraduate courses taught during spring 2020 semester. This policy applies to courses that were converted from face-to-face to virtual instruction as well as courses that were already being taught online.
- Students will choose to receive either the letter grade recorded by the instructor, OR a P/N designation. A letter grade is the default if a request is not made for P/N. Students are encouraged to consult with their academic advisor prior to making their final decision regarding P/N grading. More guidance on the process for requesting P/N grading may be found at https://registrar.uiowa.edu/spring-2020-grading-options.
- Faculty will grade students as usual during the semester and submit grades following the standard submission process. Letter grades will then be converted to P/N by the Registrar and displayed on the transcript as such. Final grades will post to the student's grade report in MyUI by Friday, May 22.
- Students have until May 8 to changed their grading option to P/N, or to reverse that decision, in MyUI. After May 8, CLAS students may submit an online workflow form (no longer available) to request a change to or from the P/N grading option. CLAS reserves the right to reject a graduating senior’s P/N grading option request after May 8 if a grade change would make a student ineligible to receive their degree. Students who have submitted a degree application for spring 2020 must complete their grading option selection by 4:30 pm on Tuesday, May 26, 2020. The final deadline for all other students to change a spring 2020 grading option is Friday, June 5, 2020.
- A grade of C- is needed to pass the class unless a program has asked for an exception due to accreditation or pre-licensing requirements.
- Courses taken for P/N grades during spring 2020 will count towards curricular, major, minor, certificate, academic progress, general education, and graduation requirements.
- Grades of P and N will not be factored into a student's grade point average.