Scholarships, Awards, & Financial Aid
The Scholarship/Awards Committee is responsible for announcing, selecting, and disbursing the following scholarships in the School of Social Work. (Links to application forms will be provided when the application period opens.)
Each award is announced on student listservs, and in class as appropriate. Application materials are made available in each center as applicable. Recipients are recognized at the graduation ceremony in May.
Stephen and Lynnette Anfinson Scholarship Award - Deadline is July 1, 2020
One $1,000 award made to an undergraduate social work student who is a resident of Iowa. The criteria for the award is academic success, aptitute for and commitment to the profession as demonstrated in volunteer or work histories, and Iowa residency. Application deadline is July 1. Award will be credited to the student's account in Fall 2020.
H. Wayne & Donna J. Johnson Award - New deadline is July 1, 2020
One annual award of up to $500 made to a junior or senior undergraduate student who has been admitted to the major. Scholarship announcement is made on February 1. Application deadline is July 1. The award is received in May.
Houlihan First Gen Scholarship - New deadline is July 1, 2020
Two scholarships of $2,500 each made to a junior or senior undergraduate students who are first generation students. A first-generation college student is the first individual in their family to attend college. Application deadline is July 1.
Jean H. Winter and Robin Odem Award
One $4,000 annual award made to a junior undergraduate social work student who is a resident of Iowa. Scholarship announcement is made April 1. Application materials deadline is April 17. The award is received the following September.
John Craft Excellence in Research Award
This award is made to honor the memory of John Craft, former Professor of Research at the School of Social Work. Excellence in student research in the area of child welfare is recognized with a monetary gift to one undergraduate and one graduate student. Application deadline is April 17. The award is received in May.
University of Iowa Support
The Graduate College awards fellowships for incoming students, dissertation-year fellowships, summer fellowships, and travel awards.
- View a complete list of awards at http://www.grad.uiowa.edu/financing-your-education
- International travel awards are available from the Office for Study Abroad
- Students who are differently-abled are eligible for awards through the Student Disabilities Services Office
- Graduate College Financial Aid Information
- Step-by-Step Guide to Financing Your Education
- Office of Student Financial Aid
- Diversity-Oriented Grants and Scholarships
- Office of Graduate Ethnic Inclusion
- Graduate Tuition Scholarships
- SROP/McNair Scholars Program
- Latino Social Workers Association
External Pre- and Post-Doctoral Support
For information about funding for social work doctoral education, including dissertation support, from outside the University of Iowa, visit
- The Institute for the Advancement of Social Work Research (IASWR) (click “technical resources” and download the list)
- The Council on Social Work Education (CSWE)
- The Group for the Advancement of Doctoral Education (GADE)
- The Society for Social Work Research (SSWR)
- The Fahs-Beck Fund for Research and Experimentation, a donor-advisory fund established with The New York Community Trust, announces two grant programs that are difficult locate at the SSWR’s site. Grants of up to $3,000 are available to help support doctoral dissertation expenses of students in the United States or Canada. Proposals must have clear relevance to major social problems affecting families or individuals or to interventions designed to assist individuals, couples, or families in their functioning and well-being. Deadlines: Twice annually - May 1 and November 1. To obtain an application, visit http://sswr.org/FahsBeckDoctoralDissertation.pdf