Iowa City BA Program
The University of Iowa's BA in Social Work program was first accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE) in 1974.
The program is designed for students who have either earned their associate degree or have completed at least two years of undergraduate coursework. The program can be completed in two years or one year. If a student joins the program their senior year, they will take their social work courses during the fall and spring semester and then they complete their 400 hour practicum during the summer. The program is sequenced and begins each fall.
Social work courses are taught in classrooms at North Hall on the Iowa City campus. Other requirements are offered online or through a combination of classroom and online methods.
Application deadline is February 15. To be eligible for admission, students must earn a C or better in SSW:2222 Introduction to Social Work, or a transfer equivalent course, and have a minimum GPA of 2.50 (on a 4.0 scale). For more information, see Admissions or contact Tomeka Petersen at email@example.com or 319 335-1250.
Transfer student resources
Transfer Equivalency Course tables regarding social work major requirements
- Des Moines Area Community College
- Eastern Iowa Community College
- Hawkeye Community College
- Indian Hills Community College
- Iowa Central Community College
- Iowa Lakes Community College
- Iowa Valley Community College Ellsworth and Marshalltown
- Iowa Western Community College
- Kirkwood Community College
- North Iowa Area Community College
- Northeast Iowa Community College
- Northwest Iowa Community College
- Southeastern Community College
- Southwestern Community College
- Western Iowa Tech Community College