The major in Social Work is a selective admissions program. This means that students must apply to the program and be accepted before they can declare the social work major (see Admissions). Until accepted, students can declare their major as "social work interest." Students who have an interest in the Social Work program are encouraged to make use of the advising services available at Iowa. Once admitted to the major, social work students are advised by social work faculty. Until then, the following resources are available:

Advising for first-year students:

First-year students and those with less than 24 s.h. earned are advised at the Academic Advising Center. The Center's team of advisors specializes in transitioning students to academic and student life at Iowa. Working with an assigned caseload, the advisors help each student plan for a successful academic start at Iowa.

Advising during sophomore year until acceptance in the School of Social Work or change of major:

Tiffany Phillips serves as the academic advisor for social work interest students who have earned at least 24 s.h. She is available to assist students with the following:

  • Advisor signatures on add/drop and other university forms
  • Questions about course registration
  • Questions or problems with your degree audit
  • Academic probation
  • Review of study abroad courses for major credit
  • Opportunities for Honors students
  • Discussions regarding adding second majors, minors, and certificate programs
  • Information regarding campus resources for students
  • Other questions or concerns you may have

How to contact your advisor:

For quick questions, email For adding and dropping courses and other immediate issues, stop by Tiffany's office in 111-B Phillips Hall.

  • Scheduling an individual appointment is recommended if you would like to review your degree audit, map out a plan to graduation, or have other questions for which you would like to have an extended conversation. To schedule an appointment with Tiffany Phillips by calling 319 353-2206 or email
  • Once a student is admitted into the BA in Social Work program, they are assigned an academic advisor affiliated with the Student Services Center at the School of Social Work.