SJMC academic advisors, Anna Newnum and Zach Hickman, are available to assist you with developing an educational plan for Journalism and Mass Communication. Your overall plan will incorporate how to satisfy your degree requirements, as well as how to select courses to help you reach your career goals. Sophomore SJMC students who have earned between 30 s.h. and 59 s.h. of credit are required to meet with an advisor at least once during the semester before registering for classes. All SJMC students are encouraged to seek academic advising as often as needed or desired. Note: All entering first-year students will be advised in the Academic Advising Center until they complete 24-30 s.h. of college coursework.
Additional Advisor/Faculty Mentor
Each Sophomore SJMC student is also assigned a faculty mentor to serve as an additional advisor throughout their time in the program. Your faculty mentor can provide a professional perspective on a variety of topics including selecting a second area of study, identifying and achieving career goals, and networking in the field of Journalism and Mass Communication. Faculty members are also happy to offer additional advice related to their specific areas of study. See our people page for information about faculty members’ areas of specialization, contact information, and availability.
Our departmental advisors can help you with the following:
- Questions about course registration
- Academic planning and progress toward graduation
- Academic probation
- Advisor signatures on add/drop and other university forms
- Study abroad departmental credit
- Campus resources
- Questions or problems about your degree audit
- Opportunities for Honors students and information about departmental honors
- Choosing a second area of study and other discussions regarding adding second majors, minors, and certificate programs
- Other questions or concerns you might have
Current Journalism and Mass Communicaiton majors may schedule a 30-minute advising appointment through the MyUI online appointment scheduler For quick questions, you may e-mail or come to walk-in hours.
Anna’s Fall 2019 drop-in hours:
Zach’s Fall 2019 drop-in hours: