What is Sujatha’s story?
Sujatha Sosale studies the capacity-building and empowering roles of media and communication in international development. She is interested in the use of contemporary media as well as traditional mass media in contexts involving social change, and media representations of public affairs in developing countries. Her geographical areas of interest include South Asia and the Southern Indian Ocean Rim. She teaches a variety of courses on communication and change, political economy, research methods, and social media. Prior to coming to the United States, Sujatha lived in Bangalore, India, and studied in Bangalore University. She has worked as a copywriter in media industries, writing for a variety of media, for commercial as well as public service campaigns, and as a freelance journalist for regional and local dailies and weeklies.
At The University of Iowa, Sujatha has served as Associate Director of Graduate Academic Programs at the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. She has also served as director of a working group on Human Rights and International Development at the Center for Human Rights, College of Law. Currently she is coordinator of the Development Track in the International Studies BA program of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and a member of the Advisory Boards for International Studies and Interdepartmental Studies. She has served as Head of the International Communication Section of the International Association for Media and Communication Research (IAMCR).
- JMC:1000 First Year Seminar, Watching the World: Topics in Global News
- JMC:1500 Social Media Today
- JMC:3115 Audience Engagement: Marketing Research
- JMC:3116/IS:3116 Media and Global Cultures
- JMC:3185 Topics in Mass Communication, Community Communication and International Development
- JMC:3185 Topics in Mass Communication, Multimedia Storytelling and Development: India (Study Abroad)
- JMC 5235 Strategic Communication Research
- JMC:6210 Social Science Theories of the Media
- JMC:6320 Media Research Methods II
- JMC:6255 Problems in International Communication: Transcultural Communication and Migration in the Indian Ocean Rim and Caribbean Regions (Crossing Borders Seminar)
- JMC 6333 Global Political Economy of the Media
Paul, S. & Sosale, S. (2019) Witnessing a Disaster: Public Use of Digital Technologies in the 2015 South Indian Floods. Digital Journalism. doi: 10.1080/21670811.2019.1626693
Carpenter, J. & Sosale, S. (2018) The role of language in a journalistic Interpretive community: Building on Indonesia's "biggest scoop ever," Journalism Practice. https://doi.org/10.1080/17512786.2018.1463865
Sosale, S. (2017). Learning content creation in the field: Reflections on multimedia literacy in global context. In M.N. Yildiz, S.S. Fund, & B.S. De Abreu (Eds.), Promoting Global Competencies Through Media Literacy (pp. 125-137). Hershey, PA: IGI Global.
Sosale, S. & Rosas-Moreno, T. (2016). Framing cooperation among regional economic powers: The South in global spheres of influence. International Communication Gazette, 78 (8), 755-776.
Sosale, S. (2014). Mapping and modernizing the Indian Ocean Rim: Communication technologies under colonial Britain. Global Media and Communication, 10 (2), 155-176.
Sosale, S. (2013). Making media commodities from cultural practices: Implications for developing regions. Journal of Developing Societies, 29(1), 47-60.
Sosale, S. (2012). India’s emerging in global news media: Development and public affairs at 50. In S. Muppidi (Ed.), Asian Communication Handbook. Singapore: AMIC.
Sosale, S. (2011). The Knowledge Economy and the Domestic Sphere: The Social Place of ICTs in Urban South Indian Homes. Journal of International Communication, 17 (1), 3-20.
Sosale, S. (2010). Rallying Around the Flag: Journalistic Constructions of a National Mediascape in a Global Era, International Communication Gazette, 72 (3), 211-227. (lead article)
Sosale, S. (2010). Policy and Public Discourse about ICTs Past: The Telegraph in India. Media Development, 3, 54-58.
* Sosale, S. & Munro, C. (2010). Defining the Local: A Study of BBC News in Northern Ireland. In Television Formats Worldwide: Localising Global Programs, Albert Moran (Ed.). Pp. 223-239. UK: London: Intellect Publishers. US: University of Chicago Press
**Chitty, N. & Sosale, S. (2009) Editors, special issue on International Crises, Journal of International Communication.
Sosale, S. (2008). Communication, development, and democracy: Mapping a discourse. Cresskill, NJ: Hampton Press. (BOOK)
Sosale, S. (2007). “Pre-modern” online: Converging discourses of globalization and development. Journalism and Communication Monographs, 9 (1), 2-52. (sole article for the issue).