Online Master's Degree in Strategic Communication
The Online Master’s Degree in Strategic Communication serves current and aspiring communication professionals by combining the rigorous standards of a University of Iowa education with the convenience of online accessibility.
The professional curriculum in this program prepares the student with concepts and skills to support a variety of careers in professional communication, including crisis communication, event planning, health communication, political campaign development, public affairs communication, social media-based communication, and strategic communication campaign development and writing.
The program’s foundational courses emphasize core professional principles, while giving students the option to focus on specific career aspirations through elective courses. Students may enroll in electives from within the program or across the university, depending on the courses’ level (minimum 3000) and availability. This degree program culminates in a capstone project in lieu of a thesis, which serves as a bridge to the professional world.
Note: All courses meet on-line once a week in the early evening. Some major courses and outside electives also schedule classroom sessions for those who live in the Iowa City or Des Moines areas.
Fall 2016 Semester Class Offerings
(class details can be found on MyUI - scroll to find class)
- JMC:5240:0EXW Digital Strategic Communication, Instructor: Eric Nelson
- JMC:5248:0EXW Strategic Political Communication, Instructor: Bradley Knott
- JMC:5266:0EXA/JMC:5266:0EXW Risk Communication, Instructor: Amy Jo Reimer-Meyers
- JMC:5300:0EXW Foundations of Strategic Communication, Instructor: Kajsa Dalrymple
- JMC:5400:0EXW Strategic Communication Writing, Instructor: Frank Durham