Admission/Application process for Master of Arts-Strategic Communication program
The School of Journalism and Mass Communication invites applications to our Master of Arts-Strategic Communication program from those who will have completed four-year bachelor’s degrees by the time they enroll.
The classes in this program are offered online; not on the campus in Iowa City, Iowa.
Applicants must have a GPA of at least 3.0 on a 4.0 scale.
The GRE is NOT required for this program.
International applicants to the program who are not native English speakers must also submit TOEFL scores. Applicants with TOEFL scores below 100 (600 on the paper-based test) will not be considered for admission.
SJMC Graduate Application Process
- After you submit your application, you will receive email instructions on how to establish your HawkID and password in order to access your Admissions Profile on MyUI (Iowa Student Information Service), our online portal for students. You will then upload the required supplemental documents through a secure portal.
Degree Program Supplemental Materials
- A statement of purpose that explains how the degree advances your career goals. The statement of purpose should be a maximum of 500 words.
Students are asked to submit two writing samples. Respond to two of the three following prompts. Each response should be a maximum of 200 words.
- Tell us about an idea or experience that you have had, that you find intellectually engaging.
- What does an organization’s past have to do with its future?
- When do you know you’ve done your best?
- An up-to-date CV or résumé
- Recommendations: As explained below, your application will include three letters of recommendations. These letters should come from individuals who can speak to your skills and capacities as a professional communicator, and to your potential for advancement in this field.
- For your letters of recommendation, you will be asked to provide the contact information of your recommenders on your Profile. The recommender will then receive an email from the Office of Admissions instructing them on how to upload a recommendation letter.
Director, Master’s in Strategic Communication
School of Journalism & Mass Communication
E320 Adler Journalism Building
Iowa City, IA 52242
Office of Admissions
The University of Iowa
107 Calvin Hall
Iowa City, IA 52242-1396
Applications must be complete to be reviewed for admission. Admissions will be considered on a continual basis, following submission of each complete application, although students should allow at least one month between completion of the application and the beginning of the semester in which they hope to enter the program.
Direct questions about applications to email@example.com. We appreciate your interest and look forward to receiving your application.
See also: The School of Journalism & Mass Communication Graduate Studies Handbook, which includes this information and more.