What can you do with a degree in political science?
"A bachelor's degree in political science can lead to exciting careers in federal, state and local governments; law; business; international organizations; nonprofit associations and organizations; campaign management and polling; journalism; precollegiate education; electoral politics; research and university and college teaching.
Political science majors gain analytical skills, administrative competence and communication abilities that are valued in a wide spectrum of potential career areas.
The following are small sample of careers for political scientists:" - apsanet.org
- Activist, Advocate/Organizer
- Administration, Corporate, Government, Non-Profit, etc.
- Archivist, Online Political Data
- Budget Examiner or Analyst
- Banking Analyst or Executive
- Campaign Operative
- Career Counselor
- CIA Analyst or Agent
- City Planner
- City Housing Administrator
- Congressional Office/Committee Staffer
- Coordinator of Federal or State Aid
- Communications Director
- Corporate Analyst
- Corporate Public Affairs Advisor
- Corporate Economist
- Corporate Manager
- Corporate Information Analyst
- Corporate Adviser for Govt'l. Relations
- Corporate Executive
- Corporation Legislative Issues Manager
- Editor, Online Political Journal
- Federal Government Analyst
- Financial Consultant
- Foreign Service Officer
- Foundation President
- Free-lance writer
- High School Government Teacher
- Immigration Officer
- Information Manager
- Intelligence Officer
- International Agency Officer
- International Research Specialist
- Issues Analyst, Corporate Social Policy Div.
- Juvenile Justice Specialist
- Labor Relations Specialist
- Legislative Analyst / Coordinator
- Management Analyst
- Plans and Review Officer, USIA
- Policy Analyst
- Political Commentator
- Public Affairs Research Analyst
- Public Opinion Analyst
- Research Analyst
- State Legislator
- Survey Analyst
- Systems Analyst
- University Administrator
- University Professor
- Urban Policy Planner
- Web Content Editor
The Pomerantz Career Center provides undergraduates with career development services, self-assessments, workshops, career fairs, and mock interviews, and many other services. Check out these alumni spotlights of political science graduates.
The American Political Science Association provides booklets/videos on topics relevant to undergraduates for a nominal fee.