Online Political Science B.A.
The Department of Political Science online program enables students to earn a B.A. in political science from anywhere in the world without sacrificing a quality education.
Program Features & Benefits
- Bachelor of Arts degree awarded by the University of Iowa, College of Liberal Arts and Sciences
- Online courses taught by on-campus faculty
- Academic advising and instructor office hours via web meeting
- No extra fees or out-of-state tuition
- Flexible and self-paced options
How to Apply
- Go to: admissions.uiowa.edu
Create an undergraduate application within the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.
Online B.A. Requirements
- Completion of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences general education and elective requirements online
- Completion of the online political science major requirements
POLI:1100 Introduction to American Politics (3 s.h.)
Four additional introductory courses numbered POLI:1001-1999 (12 s.h. total).
POLI:1200 Introduction to Political Behavior
POLI:1400 Introduction to Comparative Politics
POLI:1500 Introduction to International Relations
POLI:1501 Introduction to American Foreign Policy
POLI:1601 Introduction to Social Media and Politics
POLI:1900 Introduction to the Politics of Race
POLI:3111 American Public Policy - may also be used as an intro-level or advanced course towards the online major
Advanced coursework in political science numbered 2000 and above (21 s.h. total)
- A minimum of 18 s.h. of the minimum 36 s.h. for the major must be completed through University of Iowa coursework
- A grade point average of at least 2.0 in all political science courses taken at the University of Iowa
Advising & Support
- Dedicated academic advisor to assist with course registration, schedule changes, academic standing, transfer course review, and comprehensive plans of study
- Technical support
- Proctored exams
Frequently Asked Questions
Will my diploma indicate that I was in an online program?
No. Students who graduate through the political science online major program earn the same degree as those in the on-campus major.
What jobs can I get with a political science major?
Political science majors go on to work in the public, private, and non-profit sectors, both domestically and internationally. Recent examples include campaign management, public policy, banking, management, Peace Corps, government administration at the local, state, and federal level, real estate, human resources, and corporate training. Graduates also go on to graduate and professional programs such as law, public administration, public policy, international relations, public health, and urban and regional planning.
Students currently enrolled in the program may schedule an appointment using the online scheduler in MyUI: https://myui.uiowa.edu/my-ui/student/records/advising/appointments.page
Students not in the Iowa City area are encouraged to schedule an appointment, then call Martha’s office at 319-335-2347 at your appointment time (Iowa is in the Central time zone) or email her in advance if you would like her to create a web meeting for your appointment time. Students not yet enrolled in the program are encouraged to contact Martha Kirby to learn more.