Martha Kirby serves as the academic advisor for political science and international relations majors who have earned at least 24 semester hours.
DUE TO THE CURRENT COVID-19 RESPONSE
Drop-in Hours have been canceled until further notice. Please continue to use the online scheduler to schedule meetings with your advisor. All advising meetings will be held by phone or web conferencing.
For quick questions:
Send Martha an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
To schedule an appointment:
Go through your MyUI account at: myui.uiowa.edu/my-ui/student/records/advising/appointments.page
*Scheduling an individual appointment is recommended if you would like to review your degree audit, create a plan to graduation, or have other questions for which an extended conversation is needed.
Martha is available to assist students with the following:
- Advisor signatures on add/drop and other university forms
- Questions about course registration
- Questions or problems with your degree audit
- Academic probation
- Review of study abroad courses for major credit
- Opportunities for Honors students
- Discussions regarding adding second majors, minors, and certificate programs
- Information regarding campus resources for students
- Choosing your faculty advisor
- Other questions or concerns you may have
In addition, when you achieve junior standing and above you will be assigned a faculty advisor; students and faculty are matched based on shared academic interests. While you will continue to see Martha Kirby for routine advising functions, your faculty advisor is available to:
- Provide disciplinary guidance for research projects
- Serve as a mentor for honors theses and projects
- Discuss your graduate and professional school aspirations
- Supervise off-site student internships
We encourage you to allow your advisor the opportunity to get to know you well enough that they can provide expert advice tailored to your individual interests.