Graduate Admissions Requirements
The deadline for application and to be considered for assistantships or fellowships, is January 7.
All materials must be on file with the department, including GRE scores.
A normal admission requires:
- Verbal and Quantitative GRE score each in the 70th percentile and an analytical writing score of 4.5 or higher.
Other normal admission requirements include:
- Bachelor's degree at an accredited university.
- Undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.3 on a four point scale (or its equivalent for foreign applicants).
- Three letters of recommendation from persons who can comment upon the applicant's academic ability and motivation.
- Foreign students whose native language is not English must achieve a TOEFL iBT score of at least 100.
- For applicants who have done graduate work elsewhere, we require a graduate grade point average of at least 3.5.
- With respect to the GRE and GPA requirements, it should be noted that achievement well above our minimum on one may help compensate for a score somewhat below our minimum on the other.
- Due to the structure of our curriculum, new doctoral students must enter the program at the beginning of the fall term.
Positions available in this program are limited. And while our program features rigorous training, those not having majored in political science or not being acquainted with quantitative research methods are not necessarily at a disadvantage.
GRE Exam Code
- 6681 - University of Iowa
Cost of Attendance
Visit the Graduate Admissions website for financial related questions.
Information about Current and Former Students
Visit the Graduate College's website for statistics about current and former students.