ethics, ethical theory, history of ethics, moral psychology, epistemology, political philosophy, philosophy of law
Dr. Jeske's published work in ethics addresses topics such as the grounds of special obligations to intimates, the nature of friendship, utilitarianism versus deontology, political obligation, and the nature of reasons. Her areas of specialization include ethical theory, the history of ethics, moral psychology and epistemology, political philosophy, and the philosophy of law. She also teaches critical reasoning and applied ethics.
- Friendship and Social Media: A Philosophical Exploration (Routledge, 2019, 174pp.)
- The Evil Within: Why We Need Moral Philosophy, (Oxford University Press, 2018, 280pp.)
- Introduction to Political Philosophy: Theory and Applications, edited with introductions, with Richard Fumerton (Broadview, 2012, 1148pp.)
- Philosophy Through Film, edited with introductions, with Richard Fumerton (Blackwell, 2009, 612pp.)
- Rationality and Moral Theory: How Intimacy Generates Reasons (Routledge, 2008, 179pp.)
- “Cultural Relativism,” in Living Ethics and The Ethical Life, both Russ Schafer-Landau, ed. (Oxford University Press, forthcoming).
- “’Romantic or Cynic:’ The Status of Romantic Attraction as Justification,” Richard Linklater’s Before Trilogy, Routledge Philosophers on Film Series, Hans Maes and Katrien Schaubroech, eds. (Routledge, forthcoming)
- “Special Obligations in Long-Standing Friendships,” Cambridge Companion on the Philosophy of Aging, C. Wareham, ed. (Cambridge University Press, forthcoming).
- “Consequentialism and Partiality,” The Oxford Handbook of Consequentialism, D. Portmore, ed. (Oxford University Press, 2021; pp.238-252)
- “Polite Strangers and Rude Friends,” The Philosophy of (Im)politeness, C. Xie, ed. (Springer, forthcoming)
- “Friends and Fellow Citizens,” Handbook of Patriotism, M Sardoc, ed. (Springer, forthcoming).
- “Love and Friendship,” Routledge Handbook of Love in Philosophy (Routledge, 2019; pp.13-22).
- “Filial Duties,” Routledge Handbook of the Philosophy of Childhood and Children, A Gheaus, G Calder, J De Wispelaere, eds. (Routledge, 2018).
- “Moral and Legal Duties to Family Members,” Philosophical Foundations of Children’s and Family Law. E Brake and L Ferguson, eds. (Oxford, 2018; pp.173-190).
- “Filial Duties,” Palgrave Handbook of the Philosophy of Aging, G Scarre, ed. (Palgrave Macmillan, 2017; pp.365-383).
- “Aging, Getting Older, and the Good Life,” Palgrave Handbook on the Philosophy of Aging, G Scarre, ed. (Palgrave Macmillan, 2017; pp.327-345).
- “Friendship,” Philosophy: Sex and Love, J Petrik and A Zucker, eds, Macmillan Interdisciplinary Handbooks (Macmillan, 2016; pp.129-150).
- “The Rational Significance of Intimate Relationships,” Love, Reason, and Morality, E. Engels Kroeker and K Schaubroeck, eds. (Routledge, 2016; pp.75-92).
- “Friendship and Well-Being,” Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Well-Being (Routledge, 2015; pp.233-241).
- “Obligations to Friends and Role Obligations,” commissioned for The Ethics of Social Roles, ed. Alex Barber and Sean Cordell (Oxford University Press).
- “Obligations to Companion Animals,” commissioned for a proposed volume Neglected Relationships, ed. Monica Betzler and Joerg Loeschke.
- “Loyalty to Friends,” commissioned for Loyalty, ed Troy Jollimore (Oxford University Press).
- The Routledge Handbook of Philosophy of Friendship, editing and writing substantive introduction in addition to commissioning 32 new articles (under contract with Routledge).
- The Scope and Limits of Partiality, monograph in progress.
- 2009- Professor of Philosophy, University of Iowa
- 1998-2009 Associate Professor of Philosophy, University of Iowa
- 1992-1998 Assistant Professor of Philosophy, University of Iowa