The University of Iowa Public Policy Center is coordinating a Run Up to the Iowa Caucuses series of educational events that relate to the 2020 election and Iowa’s first-in-the-nation caucus (currently scheduled for February 3, 2020). This is the PPC's fourth Run Up to the Iowa Caucuses series and they would like to make it the most collaborative yet.
The PPC is inviting UI campus and community partners to use this series to develop and/or share their educational events that broadly relate to the caucuses or to the key policy topics likely to be discussed during the campaign.
Two types of support are available for non-partisan educational activities:
- Seed funding for new projects (up to $500)
- Promotional assistance
Types of Events
Event type is broadly defined as long as proposed events are non-partisan and educational. Ideas could include but are not limited to:
- Film Screening: Present a community screening of a film. Invite directors, documentary subjects, or experts for a discussion and Q&A.
- Presentation and Q&A: Give an overview of your work, or invite another expert to talk about their work and how it might impact different people, institutions, or policies.
- Panel Discussion and Q&A: Assemble a panel of experts to discuss a relevant topic and answer the audience’s questions.
- TED Talk- or Moth-style event: Tell your story or bring in a story-teller with a tale that sparks community conversation around a relevant topic.
The PPC’s first event in this series featured National Public Radio’s (NPR) Tamara Keith, White House correspondent and host of NPR Politics podcast, in a discussion around The Future of Politics in the US with national pundits from both sides of the aisle.
To be considered, please submit a proposal that includes the following information:
1. [Potential] Event title and date preference
2. Brief description of topic and format
3. Intended audience
4. List of [possible] presenters
Preference will be given, but not limited to, events that engage students, yet are open to the public. Events that share UI expertise on policy topics are also encouraged. If your proposal is accepted, the PPC’s Community Engagement and Communications team will work with you to market the event as part of the Run Up to the Caucuses series, and other support resources may be available.
Submit your proposal to Julianna-Lee@uiowa.edu. Proposals will be accepted on an ongoing basis until November 1, 2019.