Configuring the Pidgin Client in Windows
- Click Applications > Internet > Pidgin Instant Messenger.
- A new window will open prompting you to add an account, click Add....
- On the window named "Add Account", choose the "Protocol" pull-down menu, and select XMPP.
- After you select XMPP, the window named "Add Account" will change. Set these values:
"Username:" to your HawkID.
"Domain:" to jabber.divms.uiowa.edu.
"Resource:" to divms.
Click the Add button.
NOTE: The CLAS Linux Group strongly recommends that you do NOT select the "Remember password" option. The Pidgin client stores passphrases as plain text.
- You will next be prompted to verify the SSL cert that our jabber server uses. Click on View Certificate...
- If the certificate has the following values:
Common name: jabber.divms.uiowa.edu
Fingerprint (SHA1): e3:e9:ae:84:f4:22:2f:fd:fb:9c:de:af:89:de:2f:27:0a:3a:cb:62
Activation date: Wed Apr 19 04:09:54 2006
Expiration date: Sat Apr 16 04:09:54 2016
Click Close and then Accept.
- You will next be prompted to enter your passphrase (if verifying the certificate took too long, click Reconnect in the main window). Make sure the "Save password" box is unchecked. Type your passphrase and click OK.
- Click Buddies > Add Buddy.
- On the "Add Buddy" screen, set:
"Buddy's username:" to the HawkID of the person you would like to add, followed by "@jabber.divms.uiowa.edu"
"(Optional) Alias:" to whatever you would like to be displayed when your buddy contacts you. (You may leave it blank if you wish, in which case the "Buddy's username" field will be displayed".
"Add buddy to group:" to the default Buddies or to any group name you choose.
- When you are done using Pidgin, make sure you select Buddies > Quit, or press CTRL+Q. If you exit any other way, the client continues running in the background.