Ghostscript/GSview (Postscript Viewer/Printer)
The CLAS Linux Group have posted this information on behalf of others. This information is likely dated. Use at your own risk.
Getting the files
- Go to the Ghostscript/Ghostview/GSview home page: http://pages.cs.wisc.edu/~ghost/
- Follow the "Obtaining Aladdin Ghostscript..." link.
- Get the self-extracting EXE for MS-Windows containing GSview and Aladdin Ghostscript.
Installation & configuration
(your paths to \texmf and \gstools may be different, so make changes accordingly):
- Run the self-extracting EXE to install (the default options should be fine).
- Run GSview from the start menu.
- If you have MiKTeX installed: during configuration, for "Search for additional type 1 fonts in:", specify \texmf\fonts\type1
- In the Media menu, select Letter (this means 8.5" x 11" paper).
- Select your printer:
- Open a postscript document in GSview (eg., \gstools\gs5.50\chess.ps).
- Choose Print from the File menu.
- Try to select something under "Device" that most closely matches your printer (eg., ljet4 for HP Laserjet 4 or higher).
- Select the resolution of your printer and hit OK. Now you should get a printout, and your printer settings will be saved.
- If you have MiKTeX installed: make sure you do Start > Programs > MiKTeX > Maintenance > Refresh Filename Database.