Covid19-Working remote help
CLAS Linux Services notification on working remotely.
In the wake of COVID19 most of us are having to work from home and run classes remotely. If you are using CLAS-Linux services, please reference the remote work and support offerings available supported by the CLAS Linux Team.
Available Remote Environments
Accessing Linux remotely
- https://fastx.divms.uiowa.edu/ - Our FastX environment provides Linux workstations users can remotely log into through a web browser. Additional information about CLAS Linux Services FastX can be found at https://clas.uiowa.edu/linux/help/fastx.
- Remote SSH connections - Command shell in Linux
- Putty - If you need a light weight SSH client for Windows.
- SecureCRT - If you need an extremely customizable terminal emulator with support for Secure Shell (SSH) as well as Telnet, Telnet/TLS, and serial protocols, you can install from the ITS software download page. SecureCRT supports secure file transfers via Xmodem, Zmodem, Ymodem, Kermit, and SFTP.
Accessing WIndows remotely
- Virtual Desktop (ITS Service). The Virtual Desktop service provides remote access to many University-licensed Windows applications from anywhere without having to obtain and install the software on your own computer. Instead, you need only install the Citrix Workspace App, which allows you to make a remote connection to applications that are running in the datacenter. Platforms supported include Windows, Mac OS, Linux, iOS, Android and others. Virtual Desktop applications are available for use from both on and off-campus. Some software is restricted to use only from an on-campus location due to licensing restrictions. See the how to and support for additional information.
- VMWare Horizon (CLAS Linux Service). The Horizon environment is an exact load of the 301 MLH computer lab. We have the number of workstations in our VMWare Horizon environment but resources are limited and difficult to scale. We kindly ask that you try using the ITS Virtual Desktop service first so that we can keep resources available to those who need access to the specialized software provided in the Horizon service.
- Map Windows Drive - Map CLAS shares remotely.
VPN and DUO
- DUO - Two factor authentication
- VPN (Duo) - Help using DUO with VPN connections
- VPN Cisco install - University VPN
To Request a FastX Installation on Your Linux Desktop
If you require a connection to a CLAS Linux supported desktop on campus we can configure a FastX server on that system. Home directories are accessible from https://fastx.divms.uiowa.edu so we ask you to try that first. However, we realize that individually installed software or system resources that some of you may need may not be available in the FastX environment. If you would like a FastX server installed on your workstation please send a request to email@example.com.
Help & Hours of operation
- Support staff is working our normal hours of operation (Monday-Friday 8:30 - 5:00). If you need assistance with anything concerning Linux supported environments, FastX, or VMware Horizon, send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.