Please note: During the 2020-21 academic year, these policies, procedures, and practices will move to the CLAS Policies and Procedures website. At that time, this page will be discontinued.
CLAS Standards in Institutional Transfer of Computing Equipment
To define a procedure for requesting a transfer of computer ownership from The University of Iowa to another institution in conjunction with a departing faculty member and/or as part of a transfer of a grant, per the Operations Manual (https://opsmanual.uiowa.edu/administrative-financial-and-facilities-policies/equipment-and-personal-property-university). This policy addresses those situations in which a computer was purchased with grant money or any other UI funding. This policy attempts to address the steps that must be followed before an asset can transfer from the University to another institution.
- The DEO of the departing member’s department approves and initiates the process to transfer the equipment.
- The VPR office must approve the removal of any research-funded equipment, data and software.
- The IT Consultant assigned to the department will remove any UI-purchased site-licensed software (e.g.
Microsoft Windows, Microsoft Office, etc.).
- Even grant-funded systems are UI property and may not be transferred to the departing user intact; software
licenses purchased by the UI (e.g. Microsoft Windows, Office, Adobe Acrobat, etc.) are not transferrable.
- Any end-user data must be backed up if necessary and removed.
Statement of Procedure
- Obtain the serial number of the computer involved and identify how it was purchased because research-funded equipment will require approval from the VPR (VP for Research Office).
- If the equipment is regarded as capitalized (minimum $5,000 with a useful life of more than one year), obtain and provide to the departing faculty member the “Title Transfer of University Equipment” form and detailed instructions for implementing the transfer from the Property Management Office or here: https://cam.fo.uiowa.edu/content/forms-and-instructions.
- Inform the user about the steps involved to transfer equipment (see “Relevant Information” above).
- Inform the user that site-licensed software must be removed, in accordance with license agreements.
- When the transfer is approved by the DEO and VPR, the IT Consultant will:
- Back up data as needed.
- Wipe the computers on our SCCM service, the Casper service, or installed with a site-licensed OS.
- Remove the computer object from Active Directory and SCCM or Casper.
- Remove any UI tags, including the UI Property Management Asset Tag and the CLAS IT Group Asset Tag.
- If available, the operating system that originally shipped with the computer can be restored or reinstalled if the asset is otherwise approved for transfer.
- These instructions are detailed in the Operations Manual but do not address software licensing issues:http://opsmanual.uiowa.edu/administrative-financial-and-facilities-policies/equipment-and-personal-property-university
- Property Management Office, 335-0118, https://cam.fo.uiowa.edu/
- Office of the Vice President for Research, 335-2119, https://research.uiowa.edu/