CLAS embraces the philosophy that each individual can make a difference in the quality of life of others through voluntary acts of service. The Community Leadership and Service recognition program provides a means to celebrate and encourage individual voluntary contributions to the community. The purpose of this program is to promote, value, and celebrate individual contribution to the public good by recognizing CLAS staff members for humanitarian, civic, or other service to the UI, local, regional, national, or international community that is performed on a volunteer basis (Engagement Goal – Iowa Promise). It is our hope that this program will both enhance the sense of community and pride within CLAS and reaffirm the College’s service mission and partnerships with the public. The following are guiding principles for the Star Volunteer Recognition Program:
- Faculty, staff, and students may submit a Star Volunteer Recognition form.
- All full-time and part-time CLAS staff members are eligible to be recognized for acts of service that have taken place during the past or current fiscal year. Those recognized as CLAS Star Volunteers are CLAS staff members who have volunteered to enhance the quality of life of the community through contribution of time and talent; leadership; and service. Staff members may be recognized for humanitarian, civic, or other service to the community. (Note: Service must be external to the candidate’s primary University responsibilities and performed without remuneration.)
- Recognition forms will be submitted electronically, and the nominator will receive an electronic acknowledgement.
- A representative from the Dean’s Office will send a card of congratulations via campus mail to the Star Volunteer.
- Star Volunteers will be honored annually at the CLAS Staff Recognition Reception and will be listed on the Reception's website.
"Everybody can be great because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and your verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace, a soul generated by love." —Martin Luther King Jr.