Training Materials and Short Courses
UI Learning & Development (335-3558) offers resources to support the professional development of staff members. These are available to faculty as well, who may find them especially useful when taking on roles as administrators or supervisors.
The resources include:
- short courses open to faculty and staff
- CD-ROMS and videos for software instruction
- books, audiotapes, and videotapes on topics including supervision, management, training, stress management, and time management
- Learning Online with Lynda
- Learning Opportunities Guide
Information Technology Services offers individual and group training in the use of computer technologies.
UI Learning & Development Fellowships, Grants, and Internships
UI Learning & Development also administers several programs that provide financial support and growth opportunities for professional development.
- The Mary Jo Small Fellowship Award provides support for coursework; regional, national, or international meetings or workshops; training opportunities; or work-release time to prepare publications.
- Tuition Assistance Program — All eligible staff may receive University support for coursework that the employing member's department certifies will contribute to the staff or faculty member's professional development in his or her current position. This coursework can be completed either at The University of Iow or other accredited universtities or colleges. University employees who meet the eligibility requirements and are working on undergraduate degrees will be considered to meet the work-related eligibility requirement. Employees must be registered for the course indicated on their application before the start of the semester. Tuition assistance will be awarded for tuition fees only. Apply via Self Service: Personal/Learning and Development/Tuition Assistance Application.
- The Professional Development Internship Program provides opportunities for staff to work part-time as interns in either their own or another department, to develop new skills and gain experience in areas that interest them but that differ from their ordinary work responsibilities.
Contact UI Learning & Development for eligibility requirements and application procedures.