Exceptional Performance Flexible Pay Awards
Flexible Pay shall be awarded for extra-meritorious performance that may include rewarding a variety of outcomes and behaviors e.g., project completion, sustained high level performance and revenue generation, etc. There are two types of Flexible Pay: (1) Exceptional Performance Awards, and (2) SPOT Performance Awards. Flexible Pay should not be used as a substitute for providing ongoing base adjustments that assure equitable and competitive salaries.
General Flexible Pay Award Criteria
- All regular, non-organized Professional & Scientific employees are eligible for Exceptional Performance Awards.
- An employee must have been employed at the University of Iowa in a regular position for one year to be eligible for an Exceptional Performance Award.
- An employee must have a current (within past 12 months), Commendable or Distinguished performance evaluation on file to be eligible for an Exceptional Performance Award.
- An employee must have received at least the average July 1 salary increase for the College to be eligible for an Exceptional Performance Award. If an employee did not receive the average salary increase for CLAS, due to their current market position, or other extenuating circumstances, the College may ask for consideration from the Director, UI Compensation and Classification.
- Exceptional Performance Award nominations will be accepted two times per year; November 30 and April 30. The Dean’s Office maintains discretion to submit awards off cycle.
- Departments will be responsible for funding awards.
- All Exceptional Performance Awards must be approved by the DEO and Dean’s Office. If an award is to be paid in any part by 500 or 510 funds, UI Compensation and Classification will route the transaction to Grant Accounting so they may review the payment request at the time the award is submitted for final approval.
- Exceptional Performance Awards will be awarded in the form of a lump sum payment that is not added to the base salary.
- An employee may receive up to 10% of their salary in Flexible Pay for Exceptional Performance Awards per fiscal year. If the recommended amount for any single Exceptional Performance Award is over $5,000, the recommendation must be reviewed and approved by UI Compensation and Classification. If a second Exceptional Performance Award recommendation for the same employee is received in the same fiscal year, and the cumulative amount if over $5,000, it must be reviewed and approved by UI Compensation and Classification.
- An employee may receive Exceptional Performance Awards a maximum of two times per fiscal year.
- No more than 10% of a College or Division’s non-organized Professional & Scientific staff would be eligible to receive an Exceptional Performance Award in a given fiscal year.
- Exceptional Performance nomination forms are to be submitted electronically.