Our College’s Shared Governance System is further strengthened by activities developed by individual units. The following presents a few of the many examples of how departments within the College incorporate the views and values of staff in their decision-making process.
Department of Biology
- Department. holds administrative staff meetings every other week (P&S and Merit).
- Department. holds strategic planning sessions involving 20 P&S and Merit employees.
- Department has formed a Reward and Recognition Committee (P&S and Merit): Anyone who is interested can serve.
- The departmental administrator seeks feedback and assessment asking for input from P&S and Merit staff.
- Department conducts focus groups.
- Department focuses on staff development. Staff members are encouraged to create a personal development plan.
- Department. has increased communication between departmental administration and principal investigator and labs.
- Department has created training guidelines, developed job descriptions, and performance management guidelines.
Department of Chemistry
- Department holds joint P&S and Merit staff meetings monthly.
- There are annual meetings for all technical shops staff members and faculty advisors.
- The DEO and Administrator both have an “open door policy” whereby staff are welcome to schedule time to discuss ideas, concerns, suggestions for improvements, proposals for funding, etc.
- Department has developed an active program to develop departmental collegiality (across faculty, staff, and students) and to recognize meritorious work by individuals and groups in the department.
- The Department focuses on staff development. Staff are encouraged to submit requests for developmental opportunities.
- Staff are included on numerous departmental committees involving strategic planning for the department.
Department of English
- Department holds monthly meetings for P&S and Merit staff.
- Department offers at least one staff development presentation per year.
- Special project work groups are formed during the summer and winter between semesters to address a master list of projects that never seem to get off the back burner. At times, these projects include governance issues duvh as the creation of a departmental faculty handbook that each staff member took part in.
- There are at least two potlucks each year for the staff in all departments housed in the English-Philosophy Building, which help to facilitate better communication among the departments.
Division of Performing Arts (Department of Dance, School of Music, Department of Theatre Arts)
- The Division’s Executive Committee consists of the Division Director, the Chairs of the three units, and the Division’s Administrative Associate, who represents the interests of staff as well as serves in a support capacity on the Executive Committee. This committee meets weekly.
- The Division of Performing Arts Faculty/Staff Council consists of eight members: six with faculty appointments and two with P&S staff appointments. All these are elected two-year positions. The Faculty/Staff Council advises the Director in all aspects of the Division’s activities.
Department of Psychology
- In addition to regular faculty meetings and active undergraduate and graduate student groups, the department includes staff members in a number of committees including The Committee on Undergraduate Studies, The Technical Support Committee, and The Performance Review Committee.
- Department holds regular (but separate) meetings for P&S Staff and Merit staff.
School of Social Work
- Staff members are included on the School’s Administrative Team, which meets weekly and makes decisions/recommendations on policy, fiscal, and programmatic issues. It is also a time to update and share information.
- Staff are included on the School’s Executive, Diversity, Immersion, Curriculum, and BSW/MSW committees and are asked to attend faculty meetings/retreats. These committees meet monthly. Staff input is frequently requested and well-received.
Statistics and Actuarial Science
- DEO and Administrator typically meet once per day, generally in the morning, to discuss “where we stand.”
- DEO and Administrator each have an open-door policy to assist faculty, staff and students.
- Department holds regular faculty meetings, generally once per week.
- Administrator formally convenes with staff as needed; however, conversations are ongoing in person and via email 24/7.
- One or two graduate students are selected each year to represent in the Graduate Student Senate. They relay information to our departmental student body.