Why Des Moines?
Des Moines has become one of the top cities in not just the Midwest but the entire nation as referenced by the following collection of recent rankings touting Des Moines as an incredible place for people of all ages to live and work.
Below is a list of some additional reasons why you should consider pursuing a University of Iowa degree in Sport and Recreation Management in this great city.
- The Greater Des Moines Convention & Visitor's Bureau and Des Moines Area Sports Commission have done an amazing job of bringing in top attractions to the area on a regular basis such as the First and Second Rounds of the 2016 NCAA Men's Basketball Tournament.
- The Iowa Events Center plays host to hundreds of events each year including serving as the home of the Iowa Barnstormers, Iowa Wild, and the Iowa Energy sports teams.
- Principal Park serves as a downtown Des Moines staple where the Iowa Cubs, a Triple A affiliate of the Chicago Cubs, play baseball every summer.
- Just a short drive East of Des Moines the Iowa Speedway holds top tier motorsports events every summer including NASCAR XFINITY, K & N and Camping World Truck series races.
- Prairie Meadows in nearby Altoona offers live horse racing April through October and other entertainment options year round.
- The Court Avenue and East Village districts in downtown Des Moines serve as entertainment districts that provide something for everyone from the 80/35 Music Festival to one of the largest famer's markets in the nation.
- The art scene in Des Moines is quickly rising and the PappaJohn Sculpture Park features some of the world's most celebrated artists.
- Just south of downtown Des Moines and walking distance from campus is Gray's Lake - a Des Moines Parks and Recreation centerpiece with a variety of recreational opportunities including biking trails, swimming, and fishing with a gorgeous view of the downtown skyline.
Check out the following video to see why Des Moines is a city where it's easy to Catch More!