Health Coach Pathway
Health Coach Pathway in Health and Human Physiology
By completing the Health Coach Pathway, you are prepared to work as a health coach.
What is a Health Coach?
- Health & wellness coaches partner with clients seeking to enhance their well-being through self-directed, lasting changes, aligned with their values. In the course of their work, health & wellness coaches display an unconditional positive regard for their clients and a belief in their capacity for change, honoring the fact that each client is an expert on their own life, while ensuring that all interactions are respectful and non-judgmental. (https://nbhwc.org)
Why get trained as a Health Coach?
- Clinical coaching more present in medical model
- Growing industry
- Support continuing education of our health care professionals
- Evidence-based approach to influence health care outcomes
You are the perfect student to be a Health Coach!
- Behavioral health focus and expertise
- Established and growing partnerships with UIHC
- Research opportunities
- Built infrastructure within HHP
Health Coach Pathway Training Outline
The Health Coach Pathway is open for students in any major.
Frequently Asked Questions:
When are courses offered?
Courses are offered with the academic semester at the University of Iowa. See academic calendar at https://registrar.uiowa.edu/academic-calendar. Typical start dates are mid-January for Spring Semester, Mid-May for Summer, and Mid-August for Fall semester.
Where and when are courses located?
- Courses are offered at the University of Iowa campus located in Iowa City, IA. Courses may be offered via Zoom if that format is being offered that semester, To see times and locations, visit https://myui.uiowa.edu/my-ui/courses/dashboard.page and look up HHP:4020 and HHP:3030.
Does the Health Coach Pathway appear on my degree transcript?
- No. The Pathway is a training program. Upon completion of both courses and a successful Practical Skills Exam, participants will receive a Training Certificate. This certificate is required to submit to the National Board of Health and Wellness Coaches when applying to sit for the Board Exam.
What if I decide I want to be a coach after completing both courses rather than deciding before or during the courses, can I still apply?
- Possibly. Attendance and a grade of 77% or higher is required in both courses for eligibility, so if your attendance and performance meet pathway requirements, then you can submit coaching sessions for review. You will then schedule the Practical Skills Exam with Health Coach Pathway Faculty for final evaluation.