Learning by doing.
We have many opportunities for students to gain real-world experience in their desired area of interest while also earning semester hour credits.
In the UISRM program, Field Experience can be earned in both guided and independent situations.
Guided Field Experience courses are faculty-led with all students having a common set of learning objectives. These courses have regular meetings in addition to work outside the classroom. This work ranges from operational to strategic and consultative. These courses incorporate an industry partner with an identified project need or outcome. Work is often problem-based and team-oriented.
Current & past industry partners include:
- Fans First working with Iowa Athletics (Intercollegiate Events)
- Iowa Games (Nonprofit, Participation Driven)
- Iowa Wild (AHL)
- Iowa Wolves (NBA G-League)
- Iowa Speedway (NASCAR owned facility)
- San Diego Padres (MLB)
- Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)
- John Deere Classic (PGA Tournament)
- Solheim Cup (LPGA Event)
- Zach Johnson Foundation (Non-Profit / Event Management)
- Old Capitol Futures Pro Tennis Tournament (USTA sanctioned event)
Independent Field Experience is coordinated by the student with assistance and oversight from the Office of Field Experience. Together with the student and site supervisor, learning objectives are written and projects specific to the internship are identified, completed and evaluated.
You can read more about upcoming guided and independent experiential learning opportunities specific to each type on their individual pages.