Sport and Recreation Management Field Experience
Learning by doing.
We have many opportunities for students to gain real-world experience in their desired area of interest while also earning semester hour credits.
In the UISRM program, Field Experience can be earned in both guided and independent situations. You can read more about upcoming guided and independent experiential learning opportunities specific to each type on their individual pages via links below.
Guided Field Experience courses are faculty-led with all students having a common set of learning objectives. These courses have regular meetings in addition to work outside the classroom. This work ranges from operational to strategic and consultative. These courses incorporate an industry partner with an identified project need or outcome. Work is often problem-based and team-oriented.
Current & past industry partners include:
- Cedar Rapids Kernels (MiLB)
- Chicago Blackhawks (NHL)
- Chicago Wolves (AHL)
- Farmers Insurance Open (PGA)
- Hawkeye Sports Properties / Learfield IMG (Agency/Licensing)
- Iowa Games, Iowa Sports Foundation (Nonprofit, Participation Driven)
- Iowa Speedway (NASCAR owned facility)
- Iowa Wild (AHL)
- Iowa Wolves (NBA G-League)
- John Deere Classic (PGA Tournament)
- Old Capitol Futures Pro Tennis Tournament (USTA sanctioned event)
- San Diego Gulls (AHL)
- San Diego Legion (MLR)
- San Diego Padres (MLB)
- Solheim Cup (LPGA Event)
- Special Olympics of Iowa (Non-Profit / Event Management)
- University of Iowa Athletics, Fans First (Intercollegiate Event Management)
- Zach Johnson Foundation, Kids on Course (Non-Profit / Event Management)
Independent Field Experience is coordinated by the student with assistance and oversight from the Office of Field Experience. Together with the student and site supervisor, learning objectives are written and projects specific to the internship are identified, completed and evaluated.
Scholarships: Gaining experience in the sport and recreation management industry, where positions are often unpaid, can be expensive when both tuition and other costs, such as relocation, are considered. There are several internships offered through the UISRM program, the HHP department and industry-related organizations.