College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Certificate for Event Management
What do Hawkeye Football games, Dance Marathon, and commencement have in common? They are all events and require event managers to ensure their success!
Students who enjoy activities such as planning gatherings of people, coordinating competitions, and collaborating with multiple entities are encouraged to learn more about the Certificate in Event Management. Much of what Sport and Recreation Management professionals do revolves around competitions and gatherings of people for physical activity. A knowledge of event management supports industry professionals in their area of expertise.
Students who elect to earn the Certificate in Event Management must adhere to the following for successful completion:
- a minimum of 21 s.h. of certificate approved certificate coursework.
- completion of core coursework (Foundations of Event Management and Sport Event Management or Event Management Workshop) prior to enrollment in and successful completion of internship.
- at least 6 s.h. in EVNT prefix coursework.
- Completion of 12 s.h. of approved elective coursework.
- a g.p.a. of at least 2.00 in coursework for the certificate.
Click to View the Certificate for Event Planning on catalog.registrar.uiowa.edu
The certificate may be earned by any student admitted to the University of Iowa who is not concurrently enrolled in a UI graduate or professional degree program.
SRM courses that count toward Certificate for Event Management electives include:
- SRM: 2065 (The Experience Economy)
- SRM:3147 (Sport Event Management, if not used to satisfy core requirement)
- SRM:3158 (Sport and Recreation Promotion); SRM:3175 (Sales in Sport)
- SRM:3178 (Communications and Public Relations in Sport)
- SRM:3210 (Event Bidding: Processes and Strategies)
- SRM:4197 (SRM Field Experience, if not used to satisfy internship requirement)
Contact Alex Voss for more information regarding the Certificate in Event Management.