Interscholastic Athletics/Activities Administration
Online Certificate Now Available!
In February 2015, the Iowa State Board of Educational Examiners made an unprecedented rule change to Iowa Code 282-22.8 (272), allowing individuals who do not have a teaching degree to become Authorized Athletics/Activities Administrators. Individuals who have completed a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution in the Sport Management area, with a focus on Athletics/Activities Administration, are now able to hold an acting role within schools across the state of Iowa. The Interscholastic Athletic/Activities Administration Certificate provides undergraduate students with an opportunity to focus a segment of their studies on extracurricular activities at the interscholastic level. Combining experiential learning and networking opportunities with academic coursework, students will be prepared to enter a school district prepared and confident to succeed in Athletic/Activities Administration roles.
The certificate requires completion of 21 semester hours, detailed below. Students who earn the Certificate in Interscholastic Athletic/Activities Administration and the major in sport and recreation management may not combine this with the interscholastic athletic/activities administration concentration. If you are completing the certificate in conjunction with the the BS in Sport Management, you may not count more than 6 s.h.earned from their major area of study toward the certificate. The only exception is for those pairing this with the Coaching and Sport Instruction Concentration area, which is recommended.
Core Courses - 12 semester hours (all courses in this list)
- SRM:3148 Activities and Athletics Administration (3 s.h.)
- SRM:3700 Ethics in Sport (3 s.h.)
- SRM:3800 Sport Law for Interscholastic AD (3 s.h.)
- EPLS:4200 Diversity and Inclusion in Athletics (3 s.h.)
Field Experience - 3 semester hours
- SRM:4197 Sport Administration Field Experience (3 s.h.) - must be with a current AD
Focused Electives - 6 semester hours (two courses) from this list
- SRM:2065 The Experience Economy
- SRM:3020/INTD:3027 Nutrition in Health and Performance
- SRM:3147 Sport Event Management
- SRM:3149 Coaching Theory, Body Struc & Human Development*
- SRM:3152 Sport and Recreation Facility Management
- SRM:3155 Prevention and Treatment of Athletic Injuries*
- SRM:3158 Sport and Recreation Promotion
- SRM:3176 Sports Analytics
- SRM:3178 Communication and Public Relations in Sports
- EDTL:3114 Parent-Child Relationships
- EDTL:4940 Characteristics of Disabilities
- EPLS:4180 Human Relations for the Classroom Teacher
- EPLS:6201 Foundations of Leadership
- PSQF:1075 Educational Psychology and Measurement
- PSQF:1156 Program Evaluation
- PSQF:4134/EDTL:4934 Parent-Teacher Communication
- COMM:1819 Organizational Leadership
- HHP:2500 Psychological Aspects of Sport and Physical Activity
- JMC:2200 Communication and Public Relations
- JMC:5420 Social Media and Online Communication
* These courses are strongly recommended for students pursuing the certificate. When completed, this combination of courses allow students to apply for State of Iowa coaching authorization.