Interscholastic Athletics/Activities Administration
Online Certificate Now Available!
In February 2015 the Iowa State Board of Educational Examiners made an unprecedented rule change to Iowa Code 282-22.8 (272), allowing individuals who do not have a teaching degree to become Authorized Athletics/Activities Administrators. Individuals who have completed a baccalaureate degree from a regionally-accredited institution in the Sport Management area, with a focus on Athletics/Activities Administration, are now able to hold an acting role within schools across the state of Iowa. The Interscholastic Athletic/Activities Administration Certificate provides undergraduate students with an opportunity to focus a segment of their studies on extracurricular activities at the interscholastic level. Combining experiential learning and networking opportunities with academic coursework, students will be prepared to enter a school district prepared and confident to succeed in Athletic/Activities Administration roles.
The certificate requires completion of 21 semester hours, detailed below. Students who earn the Certificate in Interscholastic Athletic/Activities Administration and the major in sport and recreation management with the interscholastic athletic/activities administration concentration may count no more than 6 s.h.earned from that concentration area toward the certificate.
Core Courses - 12 semester hours (all courses in this list)
SRM:3148 & SRM:3800 will be taught by Mike Winker, former Cedar Rapids Xavier AD who was the IHSADA District Athletic Director of the Year in 2009. Xavier was named Sports Illustrated best athletics program in Iowa in 2007, as well as the Des Moines Register best athletic program in 2007, 2013 and 2015. Winker's teams have achieved 30 state championships in 10 different team sports during his tenure.
- SRM:3148 Activities and Athletics Administration (3 s.h.)
- SRM:3800 Sport Law for Interscholastic AD (3 s.h.)
- EPLS:4200 Diverity and Inclusion in Athletics (3 s.h.)
- SRM:3700 Ethics in Sport (3 s.h.)
Field Experience - 3 semester hours
- SRM:4197 Sport Administration Field Experience (3 s.h.) - must be with a current AD
Focused Electives - 6 semester hours (two courses) from this list
- SRM:2065 The Experience Economy
- SRM:3147 Sport Event Management
- SRM:3149 Coaching Theory, Body Struc & Human Development
- SRM:3152 Sport and Recreation Facility Management
- SRM:3155 Prevention and Treatment of Athletic Injuries
- SRM:3158 Sport and Recreation Promotion
- SRM:3176 Sports Analytics
- SRM:3178 Communication and Public Relations in Sports
- EDTL:3114 Parent-Child Relationships
- EDTL:4940 Characteristics of Disabilities
- EPLS:4180 Human Relations for the Classroom Teacher
- EPLS:6201 Foundations of Leadership
- PSQF:1075 Educational Psychology and Measurement
- PSQF:1156 Program Evaluation
- PSQF:4134 Parent-Teacher Communication
- COMM:1819 Organizational Leadership
- HHP:2500 Psychological Aspects of Sport and Physical Activity
- HHP:3020 Nutrition in Health and Performance
- JMC:5420 Social Media and Online Communication
- JMC:2200 Communication and Public Relations