Laboratory: Community Outreach Laboratory Co-Director
Lab Location: E101 FH
Lab Website: https://sites.google.com/view/ui-eim/community-outreach-lab
- HHP:3050 Obesity: Causes, Consequences, Prevention, and Treatment
- HHP:4420 Planning and Evaluating Health Interventions
- HHP:6500 Seminar in Health Promotion
The mission of my research lab is to promote informed decision making to support a better designed and healthier world. Much of my research focuses on designing and testing interventions that promote physical activity and reduce sedentary behavior to advance the health and wellness of at-risk populations. I’m also interested in Exercise is Medicine as an approach to connect healthcare providers with community health professionals to promote physical activity for patients.
For a full list of Dr. Carr’s publications, go to:
1. AL Gremaud, LJ Carr, JE Simmering, NJ Evans, JF Cremer, AM Segre, Polgreen, LA, and Polgreen, PM. Gamifying Accelerometer Use Increases Physical Activity Levels of Sedentary Office Workers. Journal of the American Heart Association: Cardiovascular and Cerebrovascular Disease. 2018, Jul 2;7(13).
2. RM Benzo, NT Kruse, WE Hughes, DP Casey, LJ Carr. Acute Effects of Interrupting Sitting on Discomfort and Alertness of Office Workers. Journal of occupational and environmental medicine. 2018, 60 (9), 804-809.
3. NT Kruse, WE Hughes, RM Benzo, LJ Carr, DP Casey. Workplace Strategies to Prevent Sitting-induced Endothelial Dysfunction. Medicine and science in sports and exercise, 2018, 50 (4), 801-808.
4. M Jerome, KF Janz, B Baquero, LJ Carr. Introducing sit-stand desks increases classroom standing time among university students. Preventive medicine reports. 2017, 8, 232-237.
5. RM Benzo, AL Gremaud, M Jerome, LJ Carr. Learning to stand: The acceptability and feasibility of introducing standing desks into college classrooms. International journal of environmental research and public health. 2018, 13 (8), 823.
Current Grant Funding
Healthier Workforce Center for Excellence Pilot Grant Carr (PI) 07/18-07/19
Title: “Accuracy and Acceptability of StandDesk Monitor for Measuring Time spent Sitting and Standing at a Workstation”.
Sponsor: Healthier Workforce Center for Excellence (HWCE), University of Iowa.
Cooperative Agreement No. U19OH008858 from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) / National Institute for Occupational Safety
Disposition: Funded ($29,549)
Fraternal Order of Eagles Pilot Grant Carr/Hosteng (Co-PI) 06/18-06/19
Robert W. Hansen Diabetes Fund
Title: “Instructor-led Activity Breaks to Reduce Classroom Sitting Time”
Sponsor: University of Iowa Foundation
National MS Society Award Wahls (PI) 06/16-06/19
Title: “Dietary Approaches to Treating Multiple Sclerosis Related Fatigue”
Sponsor: National MS Society