Admission and funding are primarily designed for students to begin in the Fall semester (students are infrequently admitted for the Spring semester). Review of applications begin on December 31 for the Fall semester. We continue to accept Fall semester applications until February 1, but applicants are advised to submit their materials as close to December 31 as possible because reviewing for funding will begin at that time. A second round of consideration may take place later in spring. Funding appointments typically coincide with the start of each academic semester.
Prior to applying for admission, we strongly recommend that you identify the faculty member whose research interests most closely align with your own, and contact them directly. Through this process you can learn more about research opportunities in your area, and your potential faculty advisor can learn more about you and your interests.
- A Statement of Purpose essay describing your research interests and plans for undertaking a graduate degree in our department
- GRE scores (directly from the Educational Testing Service)*
- TOEFL or IELTS scores for international students
- Three letters of recommendation (uploaded directly by the referees)
- Official copies of academic records
- The Supplemental Graduate Application Form the Application for Graduate Awards Form
Please note that all of these documents should be submitted online after you have submitted the online application form to the Graduate College. Once you have applied, instructions will be emailed to you explaining how to digitally submit your supporting documents.
* Upon request the Department of Geographical and Sustainability Sciences will waive the required GRE scores for applicants seeking admission for the 2020/2021 academic year.