FY2021 CLAS Budget Rules have been posted here: https://policy.clas.uiowa.edu/clas-policies-and-procedures/administration/clas-budget-rules
- Erin Herting, Director of Business and Financial Administration, and Christina Berthel, Senior Director of Human Resources, are in the process of meeting with each department’s DEO, administrator, and accountant; these meetings are expected to be completed on November 12th. These meetings are for individualized discussions on each department’s unique budget. In addition, the meetings are an opportunity for discussing ideas, questions, or concerns involving CLAS accounting/grant/HR support to departments, as well as the new Dean’s Office organizational structure as it relates to departmental oversight.
- The college is allocating all available resources to departments, and not withholding resources for special requests, as in the past.
- A budget workshop for DEOs is scheduled for 3:30-5:00 p.m. on Monday, November 11, in 2520D UCC. The workshop format will be a panel with Executive Associate Dean Raúl Curto; Director of Business and Financial Administration Erin Herting; and Professor and Director of Art and Art History Steve McGuire.
Departments know best how to respond to their needs, challenges, and opportunities within their discipline and in the interdisciplinary environment of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the University of Iowa. Accordingly, as part of Driving Excellence and Impact, the CLAS Dean's Office is developing a budget model that enhances communication, engagement, and transparency by transferring more fiscal management responsibility and accountability to departments. This operating model will empower CLAS departments to make strategic financial decisions that enable programmatic excellence and impact.
The Dean's Office will offer workshops and other training opportunities, including individualized support, in budgetary and other operational management.
The benefits of the new budget model include:
- The creation of a common understanding of the financial framework and responsibilities of fiscal budget management in CLAS;
- Opportunities for constructive and collaborative conversation about funding choices and trade-offs among ideas competing for limited resources;
- Alignment of operating decisions with strategic priorities;
- Increased efficiency and predictability through autonomy and accountability at the departmental and disciplinary level; and
- Enhanced ability for the Dean’s Office to set and drive strategic, long-term planning and forecasting at the collegiate level.
In developing the new budget model, the Dean's Office pledges to:
- Be inclusive, collaborative, and realistic as we partner and debate budget choices;
- Engage departments in learning opportunities to achieve an in-depth understanding of University of Iowa and CLAS finances;
- Empower departments and the Dean's Office to become more nimble, innovative, and transparent in operational decision-making;
- Create simplification and consistency through easily understood guidelines and practices;
- Enhance departments' ability to plan for their long-term vision;
- Work with departments to manage budgets with clear, credible, and predictable limits; and
- Enable departments to coordinate their budget with their strategic priorities.