Departments know best how to respond to their needs, challenges, and opportunities within their discipline and in the interdisciplinary environment of the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences and the University of Iowa. Accordingly, as part of Driving Excellence and Impact, the CLAS Dean's Office is developing a budget model that enhances communication, engagement, and transparency by transferring more fiscal management responsibility and accountability to departments. This operating model will empower CLAS departments to make strategic financial decisions that enable programmatic excellence and impact.
The Dean's Office will offer workshops and other training opportunities, including individualized support, in budgetary and other operational management.
The benefits of the new budget model include:
- The creation of a common understanding of the financial framework and responsibilities of fiscal budget management in CLAS;
- Opportunities for constructive and collaborative conversation about funding choices and trade-offs among ideas competing for limited resources;
- Alignment of operating decisions with strategic priorities;
- Increased efficiency and predictability through autonomy and accountability at the departmental and disciplinary level; and
- Enhanced ability for the Dean’s Office to set and drive strategic, long-term planning and forecasting at the collegiate level.
In developing the new budget model, the Dean's Office pledges to:
- Be inclusive, collaborative, and realistic as we partner and debate budget choices;
- Engage departments in learning opportunities to achieve an in-depth understanding of University of Iowa and CLAS finances;
- Empower departments and the Dean's Office to become more nimble, innovative, and transparent in operational decision-making;
- Create simplification and consistency through easily understood guidelines and practices;
- Enhance departments' ability to plan for their long-term vision;
- Work with departments to manage budgets with clear, credible, and predictable limits; and
- Enable departments to coordinate their budget with their strategic priorities.